Just Found My First Guppy Fry! Can I Move Mom?

davis101

I would like to try to breed them at least once. The other guppies were savages looking for them so i put the 8 small guppies I had into the breeder and let the mom roam free in the tank, even though she is eating them too. The fry are hiding but then get comfortable and come out and then they get picked off. I need another small tank for the fry. lol

I usually put a a bunch of plastic plants in the tank and let them float on the surface, Then later with the net, or so often as I have the time I push the plants down and scoop up the fry on the surface and then place them into the breeder net, Then once done, remove the plastic plants. If you have a plastic breeder float something on the surface, the females dont like the direct light, prefer to be shaded, They feel too exposed in the light, and no where to hide. If they seem bothered, shut off the lights, or if its in a room cover the tank with a blanket for a bit, the female will stop stressing as much.

Some breeders cull any female that eat their young as they see it as a genetic trait. A instinct to insure only strong survive, and/or kick in the fry's flight instinct, thus giving it a higher survival rate. While others have their babies all during one steady drop thinking that numbers increase survival. Some females have drops of only 2-10 once a week, so that they have less chance of being eaten all at once. Evolution in all of its forms of self preservation as a species.