Ich Outbreak...catfish Dead :,(

rangergirl77

Well... CRAP! I see tiny bits of ich on many of my fish in my 150 gallon! Turned up my heat to 82F and did a 1/2 dosing of Seachem Paraguard. (did a half dose because of my bichirs, rope fish, and raphael cats). This morning I woke up to a dead raphael & my long finned albino bristle nose is dead too :,(

So I spent over an hour trying to get my other 4 raphaels out of driftwood, and into quarantine away from the Paraguard.

Are raphaels sensitive to medications? I've NEVER had any issues with Paraguard in the past...it is very broad spectrum and great for using when adding new additions or the first signs of an issue.

Did a 40% water change this morning, and put the carbon back in the filters.

Cranked the heat up to 84F slowly (I'm scared to go any higher, because I have multiple bristlenoses & rope fish), added extra salt, and hooked up my UV sterilizer.

Looking a little better this afternoon....Only my juvie Uaru's have it the worst in the tank (and I think I caught it in the early stages because thy are eating well still)...my other fish have 1 or 2 spots!

This is stupid of me, but I admit I added a new severum to my tank from a friend without quarantining a week ago :(

Edited by rangergirl77

...and this is one of my 4 remaining raphaels, in quarentine.

You can see what Seachem Paraguard did to his whiskers...burnt them! :(

I used 7 capfuls in my 150 gallon tank...which is just under half dose. Can you imagine what it would have done at full dose?!?

Thanks for the "SAFE" recommendation once again from Big Al's...ugh! It was supposed to be safer choice as it doesn't have formaldehyde...

Edited by rangergirl77

Sorry to hear about you bad luck bud. I just had my first ever case of ich come up on Sunday, poor fish are really itchy, but i did a salt dip on a few and it seemed to give my female Acara relief for the rest of the evening afterwords.

I just recently had an outbreak of ich in my 120g tank. I have a bunch of pants and 12 catfish in the tank. There are about 30 fish in total. About 10-15 of the fish started getting the ich spots. The catfish are extremely sensitive to salt so that option was out.

I used the Heat Only method. All I did was turn the temp up to 90-92 degrees and left it there for 10days.

The ich has completely disappeared and I didn't lose a single fish.

If your fish aren't sensitive to salt you could turn the temp up to 86 and add some salt. The heat speeds up the cycle and the salt kills the ich.

I read that ich's life cycle is sped up by heat. At 86 degrees the parasite is not able to reproduce and at 89 degrees the heat effective kills the ich.

So if you keep your tank under 86 you are just speeding up the life cycle of the ich making it even worse.

I suggest you crank the heat up to 90, my fish all handled the increase in temp just fine. I find the natural way much better then using meds and much safe for the fish.

It'll take a few days for the spots to fall off. Once they do make sure you keep the temp up for another week to make sure you kill all the ich.

As for your raphaels I know scaleless fish can't handle meds or salt very well. The Raphael must be in that category. Just treat it like a catfish and don't use salt or meds. Its the safest route.

Edited by humpty