Cardinals Dying

Fyvie

help I bought 10 cardinals on thurs and I can only count 5-6 left I bought them from pet land in red deer and they seemed fine at first then I started to see ich on them. I don't want to treat the whole tank if I don't have to I have 6 panda corys doing well no ich and a abp in the tank its a 40 gal breeder with lots of plants ph 7.2 gh80 kh 60 no nitrite and no nitrate. ive herd that cardinals need 6.0 to acclimate proper but the pet stores water was very hard and high ph I acclimated them slowly and they seemed very happy at first now they hide in the back of the tank. does anyone have some suggetions as I want to get a school of 24 cardinals before I get some discuss. thanks rob

It's best to get cardinals that aren't fresh off the plane, if they haven't been acclimated properly at the store, the likelihood of them making it in your tank aren't great.

Thanks for the help I think part of the problem was 60% of pet lands fish had ich and so did the cardinals. I'm going to wait a bit then head to big ALS in edmonton when they have had some in the tank for a few weeks.