Tips On Transporting Shrimp Long Distance, 2 Days.

Caprichoso

SOLD them after all !

So since I couldn't sell my cherry shrimp, I've decided to take a chance and bring them with me when I move next week.

This is my plan. If anyone has anything to add please do.

I have about 50-60 shrimp.

2 separate bags.

I'll have moss in the bags so they can hold on.

I'll stop feeding them 2 days before transport.

The bags will have air. I'm not using those oxygen bags.

The bags will be put into a styrofoam box with packing material to cushion the bags.

I will make sure the shrimps don't overheat.

Is this good or should I do something more? Do I need to add some Prime to the bag? If so, how much?

Is it ok for them to be in the dark that long?

How much water should be in each bag?

Should I do a water change in the bags half way through the trip or just leave it?

Thanks guys:)

Edited by Caprichoso

they should be fine in the bag for two days - cherry shrimps are quite resilient. Just give them some moss or something to hang on to. Don't add prime or do any water changes during the trip.

Many of us have order shrimps that spent 2 days or longer in transit without much issue.

I would be more concern about the readiness of the tank they are going into when they arrived. If you can seed the new tank with old filter media that should helps greatly.

Yeah they should be fine for two days. I've had one order of neo's that was late in arriving. They were shipped on a Monday and I didn't get them till Friday and for the most part they were all ok except for the one bag that burst in transit.

I'd pick up one of those little black shrimp rings from the grocery store. Those shrimp seem to ship well and are delicious. Oopsy..... my bad. Anyhow your shrimp would be fine. Lately I've been using containers more than bags if I can as then I don't have to worry about bags popping or deflating(or getting attacked by a cat, true story).

• 1 month later...