Aeration For Tanks

DevonCichlid

Without doing any reading on it I am just wondering if there is a formula or rule of thumb for aeration of aquariums? Reason I am asking is that I set up my new 220g last night and want to make sure I am getting things right for my Frontosa's to move in. I've already got a sponge filter that is air driven in there and a large bubble disk but figured I'd reach out to see what everyones opinion is.

I don't need to buy extra hardware, have extra powerheads, 2 more outlets on the air pump etc.

I typically start with regular filtration with the return going across the surface, causing ripples, but not actually splashing. If I notice my fish aren't really happy, I'll add a powerhead or two - on shallow tanks, I'll have then relatively close to the surface, but on my 24"+ deep tanks, I actually have the powerheads at the surface (where the rippling filter water is) pointing down. In my Tropheus tank, the pop'n is quite high and I've had to add a bubble wand as well - it bubbles up right under the powerheads so tiny bubbles are dispersed into the tank and breaking all over the surface.

yes surface agitation is the key to gas exchange. It doesn't even really need to be a strong powerhead just enough to keep the surface of the water moving.