Bristlenose

DevonCichlid

So I was just about to head to bed tonight when something caught my eye in my 90G tank with about 50 juvie peacock cichlids in it.

IMG_0497_zps1f7c8f17.jpg

IMG_0498_zpsc4052442.jpg

I don't have any breeding caves or anything in the tank and certainly haven't been attempting to breed them. There is an artificial log in there with really tight spacing that the big male has loved for the past couple years so I'm just guessing that might be where the deed happened.

There are a couple of regular bristlenose in there and a couple of albino's as well. Anyone with experience breeding these guys, how old would you say these guys are if you're using the heater in the background for reference. I scoured the tank and it only looks like there are two small guys but then again they made it this far without me noticed so there could be plenty more. Anyways I'm quite excited about this although I really can't stake a claim as to what I did right to get them to breed. I moved the entire tank about a month ago so that would be considered a large water change but other then that just normal conditions for here 7.8 ph, temp set at 26 degrees, 25% water changes weekly, double canister filters, powerful powerhead, LED lighting for 7 hours a day, NLS 1mm for the cichlids, no algae wafers or pellets for the tank for a long time.

Anyways anyones input would certainly help as to what I'll do next, I certainly have enough 20G tanks I can move a pair or harem to if that is enough.

edit: Haha, I know the pic has the heater at 76 degrees but there are two heaters in there operated off the same temp controller so its certainly at 26 (78F).

Edited by DevonCichlid

Looks like about a month old. They are extremely good at hiding and I would not be surprised if you were to find a dozen more.

My clutches are usually around 30 but some will get eaten.

If you move a pair you should be able to breed a lot fairly fast as the are not fussy an only require some place to hide,

They will like to eat some zucchini and or watermelon rinds or broccoli or green beans.

I stick some on a fork so it will sink and change daily

John

I pulled 13 of them out of the 90G just now. They went into a tank with a dark background and substrate so they will be difficult to see but there are a couple that are already munching on some zucchini. They were as easy to catch as you'd imagine a tiny bristlenose would be :)

I had my albino and normal do the deed in a fake castle. Wasn't trying to breed, just notice my male was absent. I caught 20 fry with a shrimp net and an NLS container, and moved them to my fry tank. Left another 10 or so in the community tank, still see a couple here and there...my male is cleaning the decorations again.

Here's a foolproof way to breed BN; set up 2 breeding tanks with groups(one male and more females, lucky boy!!), have something for him to hide in(preferably something you ordered and got shipped in), feed them top notch algae wafers then go look in a community tank and discover a male fanning eggs behind the CO2 diffuser....