Corydoras Eques

Keith

Me neither, but I'm hoping. I am going to join The Aquarium Club of Edmonton in September and see if Paul Belanger or Bill (can't remember his last name), both are cory breeders, will be able to help me.

• 4 weeks later...

I can get them from my supplier in Brazil but they are not cheap - average $25 - $30 each. I had 1 bunch of 30 about a year ago and most of them went to Vancouver. They are available usually just a few times a year. One thing you must be aware of is that there are often corys being sold as eques but they are not the true eques but look-a-likes.

• 2 weeks later...

$25.00 to $30.00 is an acceptable price as long as it is really Eques that I would be getting. I have found a person that gets fishermen to go out in December to catch Eques for him. He gets 250 to 300 of them. His name is Oliver Lucanus and he has a very good reputation, so I am confident that I would be getting the real thing.

Oliver would be able to identify them properly for you. If you do get some ask Oliver to specify the collection site, as there are a couple of locations that eques are found and the care for the two are different. If you do arrange for a shipment let it be known here as there may be other people willing to go in with you for some.

• 2 weeks later...

Oliver would be able to identify them properly for you. If you do get some ask Oliver to specify the collection site, as there are a couple of locations that eques are found and the care for the two are different. If you do arrange for a shipment let it be known here as there may be other people willing to go in with you for some.

Thanks for the advice, Paul. I will definitely ask him about the collection site.

If anyone is interested in getting some Eques, please let me know as it will help in reaching the number of pre-ordered fish that Oliver requires before he sends out the fishermen to collect them for him. I am unable to provide a price at this time as Oliver told me he doesn't know the price until he finds out how much they will cost him. I will ask him if he can come up with an educated guess.

• 1 month later...

I bought a group of six wild caught from Spencer Jack last November 1. They grew nicely and should be able to start breeding this winter. I am no cory expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I did get some common types to breed years ago. I have been doing some reading up on them to prepare a tank for them. All that I have read and the photos I have seen appear to confirm this are eques. I believe I paid around $22.00 each for them and they were around one inch when I got them. Sooo, hopefully I will have some young this coming spring. If I can't get them to go, I would be willing to loan out one female and a couple of males for someone else to try come spring.