Shy Corys

msmary

Hi, My corys are to be extremely shy. only a couple of them will come out during feeding when I'm watching. The others will remain hidden and when they do see me they scatter and hide. Is this normal?.....

I have 2 Corydoras melanotaenia, 2 Corydoras melini, 5 Corydoras oiapoquensis ( I think, these guys are the super skid-ish/shy ones). I also have 2 ember tetras and a bunch of cherry shrimp and some snails in the tank and lots of plants and drift wood.

sounds like every cory i ever owned or own. any movement in front of tank and poof there magicians.

questions on tank :

size gallon wise and footprint

my other concern is the numbers of each species ..should be 5-6 of each at a minimal (why i asked footprint)

love my cories very fun to watch, nightime more then lighttime

ember tetras are social too 5-6 minimal there too if tank size allows (i dont want an overstockd tank either)

and lastly WELCOME to forum

lots of good peeps and even better advice

My Sterbai Cories are extremely social, they are my first big group of cories and I've been pleased with how non-skittish they are. When I owned the odd single cory they would also just hide as soon as I came to the tank to feed them but these guys are very social. They are in a tank with some Ember Tetras, Harlequin Raspora, Endlers and a bristlenose and are always out and always right in the mix when its feeding time.

sounds like every cory i ever owned or own. any movement in front of tank and poof there magicians.

questions on tank :

size gallon wise and footprint

my other concern is the numbers of each species ..should be 5-6 of each at a minimal (why i asked footprint)

love my cories very fun to watch, nightime more then lighttime

ember tetras are social too 5-6 minimal there too if tank size allows (i dont want an overstockd tank either)

and lastly WELCOME to forum

lots of good peeps and even better advice

----

I have a 20 gallon long tank, I'll have to get a picture up tonight... I'm kind of still confused with the term "footprint" my fish lingo is not up to par.. haha

I do have at least 5 of the more skid-ish corys, Maybe I will get a few more.. and also some more tetras as well.. I have a total of 11 fish right now ( 9 corys and 2 ember tetras). How many more fish can I have? -- p.s. none of my fish seem to be growing.. and I have had a few of them for over a year is this normal?

(I could watch my fish for hours...they're behaviour is so interesting)

Thank you! I've picked up the love for fish keeping this last couple years and have just learned about this forum from the VP of the Edmonton Aquarium Club.

A couple other factors to think about:

1) color of substrate

2) light intensity

3) tank area high/med/low/no traffic

Hi, my tank is mostly green with all the pants and I have sand (normal brown color) and very low traffic in front of the tank.

How does color affect the fish.. is therea particular color I should or should not have in the tank?

Thanks!

Sometimes with brown sand and higher lights can cause them to spook easier as they do like shady areas. But with low traffic again will spook easier around movement. My tanks in my livingroom dining area have corys but they are way more social where the ones in my office fish room freak every time I'm in the room because they aren't used to it. I've mixed some black sand with the lighter stuff and has calmed them some and added some floating plants to dim the lighting.