Crinum Natans, Or Calamistraum

Psylant

I've recently (about a month) popped a calamistratum in my tank. Nice plant, has put out new leaves, haven't had problems. I'm running CO2 and ferts. I've heard that they like to float but this was a smaller plant so I had no trouble getting it deep enough to stay down.

I've recently (about a month) popped a calamistratum in my tank. Nice plant, has put out new leaves, haven't had problems. I'm running CO2 and ferts. I've heard that they like to float but this was a smaller plant so I had no trouble getting it deep enough to stay down.

Thanks for your input. I won't be running ferts or CO2 but one of my tanks is dirted. I also want to try some in my 450g with DIY LED lights, and only PFS for substrate. I was thinking I might try to dirt a terracotta pot and then cap it with PFS and grow it that way. Not sure if it will work but I bought 5 bulbs for $20 which is less than what one would cost if I bought it in a LFS or within Canada... So we'll see how it works!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had calamistatum and it was easily my favorite plant. For my 26 gal bow front 1 was great as its vines easily went the length of the aquarium - for these reasons make sure you place the plant properly relative to the flow of your tank. Quite easy to manage, medium growth but DO NOT bury the bulb more than half way into your substrate!!

Do you mean flow, as in current, or as in aesthetics?

I've had calamistatum and it was easily my favorite plant. For my 26 gal bow front 1 was great as its vines easily went the length of the aquarium - for these reasons make sure you place the plant properly relative to the flow of your tank. Quite easy to manage, medium growth but DO NOT bury the bulb more than half way into your substrate!!

Side note: I got up to Pisces this weekend for the 2nd time ever and they had some natans and calamistratum for $30 a pop. They were the most expensive plants there...

Do you mean flow, as in current, or as in aesthetics?

Side note: I got up to Pisces this weekend for the 2nd time ever and they had some natans and calamistratum for $30 a pop. They were the most expensive plants there...

Mostly aesthetics but I imagine there is some benefit in having the current stretch the plant out along the surface as to gather more light.

Crinum natans can either be farmed or taken from the wild. In the wild, they are threatened but interesting not so much by the aquarium trade but for food and lotions. Sounds like you've ordered wild plants and Pisces is carrying farmed plants, hence the difference in price. They are a plant that does like some current as they grow in rivers in the wild. Thanks to Karen Randall of the Aquatic Gardener's Association for this info.

Crinum natans can either be farmed or taken from the wild. In the wild, they are threatened but interesting not so much by the aquarium trade but for food and lotions. Sounds like you've ordered wild plants and Pisces is carrying farmed plants, hence the difference in price. They are a plant that does like some current as they grow in rivers in the wild. Thanks to Karen Randall of the Aquatic Gardener's Association for this info.

Interesting information.

I think mine were farmed as well, seeing as they came from Malaysia. Very, very small bulbs, about 5-10mm in diameter. They all seem to have survived the cold weather, but time will tell! :)