Hmf Foam

flyfisher

Looking to set up a old 20 gallon as a grow out tank with a HMF was wondering what to use 20 or 30 ppi? I would like to install it in the middle of the tank do I need two mats with the lift tubes between them discharging to each side?

Thanks

I use 30 but I would think both would work. You would only need 1 tube. The water being sent into the other section would cause a higher water pressure on one side and cause it to migrate back. THe concern I have is fry getting sacked up and shot over to the other side.

I use 30 but I would think both would work. You would only need 1 tube. The water being sent into the other section would cause a higher water pressure on one side and cause it to migrate back. THe concern I have is fry getting sacked up and shot over to the other side.

Ok 30ppi it will be as for fry getting sucked up that was my concern as well that's why I was wondering if I should use two mats with a enough room between them for the up lift tubes.But it might be cheaper in the long run to move the HMF to the end of the tank and use a tank divider to split the tank in two, I just haven't had much luck with the tank dividers in the past never liked how they sit in the tank and water movement was always poor.I was hoping the HMF would serve a duel roll as filter and divider in one.

I have done one filter at the end and another mat as a divider. You just need to lengthen the lift tube to shoot into the far champer. You could use 2 lift tubes for more water flow. This will make it easier to regulate tempurature.

Excellent points especially the temperature regulation thank you I'll pick up some foam and some pvc tubes and start playing around with a few set ups.