Copadichromis Borleyi 'kadango'

jvision

At the last ACE auction, I bought a bag of "Kangaroo" cichlids for $1. Thankfully the auctioneers knew they were supposed to be labeled as Copadichromis borleyi "Kadango". I've never kept Haps/Peacocks, only lots of mbuna, so I'm not totally sure on how to determine gender. The fish I bought were quite obviously bagged w/in a week of being spit - they were smaller than some newly spit Yellow Lab fry I had at the time! Now, they're all still the same color, but some of them are getting a deeper body - I'm guessing those are males; however, I'm not finding much detail on body shape in the online literature (cichlid-forum.com).

From the articles I've read, they should be just about to the age/size where the males should be coloring up, but I don't really want to keep more than 3 any longer. Is there any other tell-tale signs of gender for these guys?

Males will get a blue face and orange body. There is not much difference on body shape , males are a bit more slender and stream lined when mature. If they are kadango's all the fins on females and fry/juvies should be a bright orange.

Yes, all of the fish are grey with bright orange fins. I just seems about 1/2 are getting a bit deeper body, and it seems to be the larger ones. Figured they might be male, but maybe that's not the case