Koi Angelfish Eating First Spawn

67Elmo

post-6749-0-94374300-1422045996_thumb.jpg

Here's a first spawn from my Koi Angelfish today. Sadly the male is eating the string of eggs as the female lays them. Kids nowadays.....

The first few spawns from an angelfish pair are often pretty poor. It takes a few for them to get the hang of it.

Thanks! I imported them from Angels Plus in New York State. From my research into koi angelfish this hatchery literally has the highest quality koi angelfish in the world. They don't ship to Canada so I had to drive all the way down to Montana to pick them up, and then cross the border after paying GST and drive back to Edmonton. A real pain, but I'm glad I have them and hopefully will have fry fairly shortly so others wanting this blood line don't have to go to Montana to get them (plus pay courier charges, etc.)

67Elmo, were you charged GST because you hadn't stayed in the States long enough? I have never paid GST on any of the fish I brought across.

If you are successful I would be interested in getting a few to cross with my koi veil tails. That high coverage of color and veil tails would be amazing.

Really great looking fish ....... Good luck in breeding.

First off, Angels Plus has some great fish.. Second most domestic angels are not "good" parents and you're better to artificially hatch them. Take the slate to another warm(80 degrees) clean tank and add some antifungal like maroxy. You should have wigglers and a week after the eggs are laid, start feeding brine shrimp. Good luck as you've got some nice looking fish there!!

First off, Angels Plus has some great fish.. Second most domestic angels are not "good" parents and you're better to artificially hatch them. Take the slate to another warm(80 degrees) clean tank and add some antifungal like maroxy. You should have wigglers and a week after the eggs are laid, start feeding brine shrimp. Good luck as you've got some nice looking fish there!!

Exactly my plan, however its tough to take the slate to another warm hatching tank if the male eats the eggs as soon as the female lays them :D
I'm not concerned really...the first few spawns are usually pretty pathetic with young angelfish pairs, and the eggs often get eaten prior to being able to remove the slate to a safer location. However I now have 3 pairs from the 9 nickel sized angels I imported in early October, two standard fin pairs and a veil tail pair. But the fish are only about 5 1/2 to 6 months old, so it won't be for a few more weeks that the pairs should start to stabilize a bit. I used to breed angelfish for fun years ago when I lived in Toronto, and this happened all the time with new, young pairs as I recall. Once they have a few spawns under their belt they don't eat the eggs immediately, and then you have a chance to take out the slate and hatch artificially.
And Driftwood, I'm not sure why I was charged GST....I was only over the border for 20 minutes picking up my fish, and maybe you have to be in the USA longer than 20 minutes to avoid GST.
Here's a photo of one of the veiltails back about 6 weeks ago. I kept them in a 55 gallon bare bottom tank until they started to pair off, which they did starting about a week ago.

post-6749-0-01088000-1422077571_thumb.jpg