Trimacs Spawned Last Night!

Bandi

Just got a trio of 5 inch females and a 7-8 inch male and after 30 hours of intense harrassment from the male he settled down and 24 hours later he picked a female and spawned at about 11pm last night. I left the light on all night and there is a nice cluster of eggs of a healthy carmel colour this morning. Sorry for the bad iphone photos and the dirty glass. I didn't want to disturb them by cleaning the glass.

Edited by Bandi

Friends in Edmonton RD. Two females from one friend and a male from another. Just brought them home last weekend.

Knowing these guys they probably brought them in either from Jeff wraps or Conico (spelling?). I know they are rare around here, that's why we wanted them.

You might want to check before you start marketing the fry, there's only a few reputable sources left that sell pure trimacs. Jeff Rapps from Tangled up in Cichlids, Gage at Cichlid Connection, and Dan from Cichlids of the Americas. The rest out there are typically low grade red dragon flowerhorn. Always good to see some pure stock getting circulated.

Thanks. I'll check with my friends and source them out.

My friend got back to me and he says he got them from Cichlids of America but he doesn't know if they are wild caught or F1's or F2's or whatever.

Well, the new parents have some learning to do. I guess I should pulled the log and cared for the eggs myself. They ate them. And now he is mad at her!

I beat both of you to the idea and suggested it to the hubby. He thought it best to wait it out and see. She is able to get away from him in a small hide. I decided that if he doesn't let her out to eat for over a week I would move her. But yesterday they were both out and getting along just fine. Today, she even turned on her breeding stripes again. So, we are watching carefully. Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Trimacs spawned behind my back and now have a collection of wigglers.