Building My Own Tank

Bruno

I am considering building my own tank, just because I want doesn't really exist. I would like to build one 48 long, 18 deep and 16 high. Any guidance on glass thickness, and where I can get the glass? Do I need a cross brace of some sort?

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?page_id=1635has a calculator you can use. Make sure you convert to mm.

For those dimensions, if you go with 10mm glass, you'll get a safety factor of about 8.3 (really good) and a reflection of 0.1mm. That is without braces. You could probably go 6mm glass if you did a euro braced tank?

If you are planning to do the silicone work yourself, last time I called around, Concept Aquariums was the place that gave me the best price on fancy starphire glass. As for silicone, get csc 1200. It is a construction grade adhesive, not just a sealant and safe for aquarium use. The best price for it is Calgary Fastener at something like $6.00 a tube. The LFS is easily double the price.

If you want to chat, just give me a call some time. I've done a few builds. I can even teach you how to do ADA style fillets.

[CC]

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

...As for silicone, get csc 1200...The best price for it is Calgary Fastener at something like $6.00 a tube. The LFS is easily double the price...

I wish I knew this before I bought half a dozen of them.

What is a rough price to do a diy 75 gallon tank normal size?

Unless you want Starfire glass, I believe it's cheaper to just buy a 75G tank from BigAl's or surf Kijiji for one.