Water Lettuce Turning To Mush

Erynlyn

I assume by the color of the water it's freshly dirted.

You should do a water change, get some of that excess nutrients out before you have an algae breakout.

Next, how long is your photo period, what kind of lights do you have? How long has the tank been set up?

If it hasn't been long you need to do a bunch of water changes, and if you're going to dirt you need to plant heavy. If you don't plant heavy you're going to have a huge algae problem.

All of my tanks have a soil base and if done properly the tank water should be crystal clear. I always say I'll put my soil tanks against a bare bottom tank for water clarity. It's a major misnomer that people unfortunately associate 'dirty' tanks with a soil base...there is no reason for it.

Depending upon size of tank, depth of the soil base you should have 1.5-2 inches of a top cap..

Don't bother with strips grab instead the drops.

Edited by ckmullin

its my first dirted tank attempt.. i appreciate the feed back and i will do a water change this weekend and see if it helps with the health of the plants.

i mostly set this up to be a grow out tank for my bettas as well as a propagation tank for plant cuttings from my pet tanks, hoping to make my keeping more efficient by duel purposing my systems.

:D thank you