White Tube Protruding From Anus Of Cichlid

maligne

Hello every one. I just got home from two weeks away. I had automatic feeders and timers taking care of my tank for me while I was gone. When I got home my tank looked great and every thing looked fine except for Edmond my favorite Acara. He is usually the boss of the tank and the most active fish I have. He was just floating in one spot and hasn't really moved much and he is uasually a very aggressive eater and hes not eating very well. I woke up today to find that he was hovering in a corner on the sand with a one inch transparent tube protruding from his anus. I took some pictures. He has since dropped the tube and is still moping around the tank. Can any one give me some insight on what could be going on with him?

All my water parameters look great and I did a partial water change yesterday. I stopped feeding them as of this morning

post-6927-0-60595600-1444846620_thumb.jpg

Possibly Spironucleus vortens, aka Hexamita, the color & shape of his waste is a classic sign. Treat with Metronidazole, and/or Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom salt) via presoaked food. I also highly recommend the NLS Hex-Shield formula. Getting the meds directly into the gut is key, if the fish refuses to eat then treat the tank with Metronidazole. I can't seem to post a link here, but you can find an article on the epsom salt treatment on monsterfishkeepers.com Just google epsom salt spironucleus and that should get you a quick link.

I treated the whole tank last night and I added nutrafin fresh water aquarium salts. should I still try putting some metro in his food? I don't want to over dose him but I really don't want to lose him either. Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated. I wish I would have figured this out sooner I lost 4 Bolivian rams last month and after thinking about it last night i'm sure it was the same thing.

Thanks a bunch!

If it was my fish, I would try presoaking some of his food for the next few days. It will reach the pathogens faster, and will be more effective than simply adding to the water. It also won't hurt the rest of your fish to eat some of the mix. Aquarium salts will be of no help with this particular parasite.