Major Changes In New World Cichlid Taxonomy

FunkSolid

The wonderful world of science has spoken. An extensive review of the herichthyin clade of Middle American cichlids has resulted in the naming of eight new genera and a number of taxonomic modifications.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/major-changes-in-new-world-cichlid-taxonomy/

A friend of mine said "Well... Its time to burn all my Cichlid books" which made me laugh. I'm sure the pictures are still good ;)

One of the problems with the decades old debates amongst the people who rename and reassign fish species and nomenclature is that they cannot reach a common solution to new discoveries vs. natural crossbreeding vs natural color pattern differences between different locales for the same species and even when there are changes not everyone accepts them as gospel and refuse to accept those changes. Take corydoras, apistogrammas and "L" numbered plecos just for a few examples. It becomes mind boggling and confusing for hobbyists and is doubley confusing when placing orders with South American suppliers. Everybody has their own opinions and I suspect that these people will never all be on the same page.

Yup it's mind boggling... I remember when a Lamp was a Lamp a Cichlasoma was a Cichlasoma and a Hap was a Hap ..took the time to learn and remember all the different species and families,,Then these smartie pants asshats come in every few years and change everything...not sure what there end goal is other than make sure only commom names are used.