Fresh Water Sump

saltynuts

I use them, and have used them lots in the past. Check out my member journals, and you'll see a few.

I'd post pics, but for some reason my IE won't let me cut and paste

Basically, you want something for mechanical and biological with space for the heater. I've even done a sump w/o baffles; just a piece of egg crate holding back some poly, and another to keep the scrubbies from getting to the pump. For flow, I always just gauged how the fish reacted; if it looks like it's too much, I just throttle more water back to the sump (put a T on the return and run a line with a valve back to the start of the sump)... I'll try to get some pics when I'm on my laptop again.

I love sumps. They keep equipment out of the tank and increase water volume. They are also really cheap if you are just gluing baffles into an existing tank. With some of the new adjustable DC pumps coming out you don't even need to worry about flow rates.

The hardest part would probably be installing an overflow into the display.

Here is a system I am currently setting up. The sump is simple but the overflow plumbing is rather involved.

df3ICg2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...