Using Rain Water

firestorm

Hey everyone, just wanted to know everyone's experiences and suggestions on using rain water instead of RO combined with tap to help lower hardness? I have an RO already but looking for less expensive alternatives to keep costs down. How do you go about collecting and storing it and do you use aeration in the storage water? Thanks!

I know a guy who has 2 55gal drums in his fishroom that he keeps rainwater in. I believe he aerates it, and will throw a HOT Magnum with carbon on it for a day or so, to remove any possible contaminants (ie. from shingles).

I also know a guy who was one of the first to breed sterbai corys locally. In his frustration to get them to spawn, he did a big WC and threw in about 3 gal of snow (on a 40gal tank)... the shock stunned the fish, and he thought he killed hundreds of dollars (that's what wild sterbais cost back in the day!), but w/in a few hours they were going crazy, laying eggs all over the place!

Awesome thanks Jason! So it's safe then to set up rain barrels to collect from the roof and stuff? I guess if I threw in a filter with lots of carbon that would help! I just wasn't 100% sure that's how they collected it. ......yeah I was thinking in winter I could just connect freshly fallen snow. Living a bit further out of the city we won't have to worry as much about pollutants as we would in the city