Inexpensive Led Lighting

chlwong

Someone on the facebook page made me aware of a Leduc company selling a 150 watt 15,000 lumens LED light that is also IP65 water protected. At $350 not a cheap light but if you need that much light it is very good value. My 3,000 lumen LED costs $50 more.

Just FYI, I got in some missing parts for a DIY LED light. Threw it together without housing, just 2' LED module and power supply, and it draws 17 watt at the wall and produces 2200 lumens while keeping temp at a very reasonable 41C. It is very bright, comparable to my Current USA satellite plus pro and a lot brighter than the Marineland optibright+. It is basically blinding to look at directly. A 2' light based on this module could probably be build for around Cnd$30 if you don't mind DIY looks and cabling.

I also tested a 2' 6000 lumens module. When running it at 90% of nominal output (so about 5400 lumens) it draws ? watt and warms to ?C

For final production units I want to look into different options for aluminum housings that offer better water protection, look better, and dissipate heat better. There are also options for lenses to get a more or less focused beam. Due to a diving trip I expect that the final products will appear in January or February depending on how hard it is to get the parts I want.