Progression of planted tank (7 pics)

Molino

I thought this series of photos was interesting, showing the changes in my planted tank over a period of almost 2 years since I started it.

It is a 20 gallon long with 55 watts of light, DIY CO2 and flourite substrate. I did for a short time add some fertilizer, but quickly began to forget, and the plants (with some exceptions) do very well even without.

Anyway here are the pictures:

2002 October:

2002-10.jpg

2002 November:

2002-11.jpg

2003 March:

2003-03.jpg

2003 April:

2003-04.jpg

2003 October:

2003-10.jpg

2004 January:

2004-01.jpg

2004 August:

2004-08.jpg

You probably noticed some plants are in just one or two of the photos. These are the ones that didn't take too well to my no-fertilizer diet :lol: The only "high maintenance" plant I would like to have do well is the red tiger lotus, which is still there, just not growing any higher than about 2" any more.

I should add that the Anubias and Java Fern were removed by myself not becuase they were difficult to grow, far from it. The Anubias leaves would stay for soo long that green spot algea would grow on it, and the Java Fern became a HUGE mess of roots behind the driftwood on the right. So out they went!

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Thanks. I realized looking at these pictures that I don't like the overgrown look, like it is right now. It's also too much of the same colour (green) right now and needs some more reds again.

Degrassi, If you've got your camera fixed now you should start taking pictures of you planted tank so that you can do the same in a year or so. It's nice to be able to look back and see how the tank looked a year or even a few months ago.

Beautiful pics. Congradulations :D

P.S. if you feel that the tank is getting overgrown - just add some gold severons!!!! :D:D j/k.....

Smokey

from a person who cannot grow algea :angry: Believe me I have tried!!!!!

ABwildrose, Yes that's a Red Tiger Lotus, however it's not doing so well. It tends to stay about 1-2" high and has very small leaves. I'm too lazy to get into fertilizers, etc... and nurse it back to health.

from a person who cannot grow algea

I can teach you a few things about that :rolleyes: