Edmonton auction fish

seajays

Hi Seajays,

The blue peacock is probably a nice way of saying hybrid, most people selling fish at the auction would list the latin name if it was a pure line. Of course I could be wrong it could be someone that just didn't know the name.

As for the firefin these are a hybrid as well however, these are bred purposely to achieve the nice colour of the firefin and IMO they are one beautiful fish :wub:

Hope this helps,

Amy

Thanks for the info guy's. Not to happy that I might have some hybrid. But I guess as a newbie I will have to learn the hard way. Maybe the guy's that sold them would tell me for sure. I sure don't want them cross breeding in my tank. Come on guy's help me out, I want to be responsible hobbyist

7 Blue Peacock - $ 22

4 Fire Fin Peacock - $ 32

Not sure about the "blue peacocks", but I can vouch for the Firefins; :smokey: No need to contact Gio...

They're an Aulonocara jacobfreibergi variety, linebred (aparently in Germany?) for colour; not a "hybrid" and all that the word implies. (I'm a purist myself; no room for hybrids in my tanks, thank you! :guns:)

I suspect that "fire fin" is nothing more than some hyped up name used by one of the breeders/exporters in Florida. Some of these exporters still refer to S. fryeri as Hap Ahli. The fish in question would most likely be an A. jacobfreibergi Eureka. It appears that Sammy was wondering the same thing in the past:

http://www.malawimayhem.com/phpBB2/viewtop...2&view=previous

Here's the CF profile:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1377

HTH

Edited by RD.

My understanding is that the Firefin is a man made strain, along the same lines as the Super Red Empress, the Eureka and Rubesence peacock. None of them exist in the wild, but all are accepted species for the hobby. :well:

These fish are not "hybrid" (both parents being different species of fish, therefore the offspring are a combination of 2 seperate species - and will not breed true), but rather "linebred" (breeding 2 fish of the same species that are closely related, generation after generation, to enhance specific traits sought after - all of the offspring being identical to the parents). The strain actually was derived from Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Otter Point" from what I understand.

Edited by k9outfit

FYI - if you ever get a chance to look at an exporters list from one of the large farms to the south, you'll see why I referred to it as a hyped up name. Many exporters use old trade names for certain species, some make up new names, and it can be very confusing for the retailer when you don't have the actual fish to look at, before placing the order. Also, if the fish come in at a juvenile size, then it just adds to the confusion.

From some additional info from K9, we might be looking at this species?

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=4089

The exporter mentioned in that thread has been known for using some very old & outdated trade names, so it's anyones guess as to what this species truly is. If anyone has some pics of the adults, that should help nail it down.

I'd be interested to see pictures of these fish also, as I have yet to see a picture of an Albertan "Otter Point" that actually was identified as a true Otter Point.

From what African_Fever told me, they weren't exported much as they live very deep, and in caves that are pretty dangerous for divers....

Old World has some wild caught A. jacobfreibergi Hongi listed at the moment.

http://oldworldexoticfish.com/stock.html

Keep in mind that there is more than Stuart on the lake, so perhaps the little guy is going above & beyond to impress some of the larger importers. I honestly don't know, but it's a possibility? I don't think that Laif would list 48 farm fish as WC.

Also, some of these farm fish strains have been bred for 25+ years now, so the fact that a species shows up, doesn't necessarily mean it's from a breeding group of fish that were recently imported. Nor does it mean that they are always as pure as some of us would like to think.

After seeing some of the goings on with some of these African species over the past year, I have a whole new respect for the retail stores that deal with them, usually on nothing more than good faith, and their reputation.