Unknown Fish ... to me!

Guyzer

Not too sure if this is the right board to post this in. Can someone help with the name of this fish (see below)? I seen them on the cover of a aquarium magazine about 2 years ago and just thought they were the neatest looking fish. And now just today, I took out a cichlid book from the library and there was a small pic of the same fish.

If someone knows of this fish, do you know if it readily available in Calgary and what the average price would be? Or, if they could be shipped in and the aprox price? Would Golds know where to find a fish like this? Any help would be great. Sorry for the poor quality of the image. It was a small picture in the book and I don’t have the top of the line scanner. Thanks for your help!!

Guy

Unknown_fish.jpg

For thoses who care, I found out the name of the fish ... I think. Hemichromis elongatus or Hemichromis fasciatus. There seams to be some confusion about this fish on the net. Both names will show the same fish?? Now next quest is to try and get them in my tank!!.

Guy

Hemichromis elongatus. Sorry I did not see this post earlier.

Fasciatus are very rare and there are very few that have them.

Elongatus pop up occasionally, fasciatus can only be ordered by specialty places on the net like tangledupincichlids an belowater.com

Albert and I were just talking about these guys......You should ask him as I know they have gotten them in before.

Yes these fish are to aggressive and large for the aquarium.....but Paroon sharks go before I have a chance to buy one. WTF Albert.

Large 10 foot migratory fish are easy to take care of. :lol:

Albert, are you the owner of Gold Aquariums?

I have never ordered in fish before. What kind of added cost is involved with the orders? How long does it take to get the average fish shipped into Calgary? If a shipment is ordered, is the person who ordered them on the hook for the whole lot? Or can a small amount be orderd?

I'm not ready for the Hemichromis Elongatus right now, I'm just doing some research. Cause I don't have my fish room set up yet and don't plan on stocking it till this fall at the earliest.

Thanks all, for the great help. I said it before and I'll say it again, this forum really is the best!!

Guy

Yes these fish are to aggressive and large for the aquarium.....but Paroon sharks go before I have a chance to buy one. WTF Albert.

Large 10 foot migratory fish are easy to take care of. :lol:

I'm gonna eat my words now...

:mellow:

Besides, I didn't know you wanted one.. Lemme see if I can still get one for you from one of the guys who got some. He might not keep all of them after all.

Anyway, I don't own Gold Aquariums but I do handle the majority the store's online traffic. We don't do special orders unless the fish is available at our intown wholesaler. I'll have to check with the owner for you on that one.

You can check out our site at www.cichlids.ca.

Just PM me if you have any questions about our store.

Besides, I didn't know you wanted one.. Lemme see if I can still get one for you from one of the guys who got some. He might not keep all of them after all.

It was kind of one of those things that I would have bought because I got myself all rawled up to do so. I am glad they are gone. Lets keep it that way and keep my tendancies to purchase fish I can't possibly house in the long term all rapped up inside.. :wacko: