New Plecos Taken Off Brazilian Export List.

Well color me shocked - just received an email from my Brazilian supplier advising that the following have been taken off the export list effective immediately.

L003, L014, L017, L019, L026, L031, L133, L134, L141, L142, L212, L253, L255 and L358.

I suspect that these will be just the beginning. I haven't checked all of the above but I have strong suspicions that they are all or mostly from below the new dam. Rather than take the heat from conservationists and all other interested parties I'm thinking the government is likely just eliminating them for export so they don't have to answer lots of questions on how the dam project has affected their natural environment and how their breeding patterns havebeen altered. From what I've gleaned online nobody can say for a certainty that they can even breed under these new conditions. It remains a wait and see (or more accurately a wait and hope) situation.

As I hear more from suppliers I'll post again but I really don't think this will be the end of the plecos being removed from the export list. It wouldn't surprise me now if L024, L025 and the like will be joining soon.

Just sayin'.