Tank Cycling Question

sinjindog

Hello,

I've got a question for the experts here. I have a 55 Gallon Cichlid tank running two eheim 2224 Canisters and I am starting up a 37 Gallon for a different room. Anyway I have another 2224 Canister than I am going to use on the 37 but I'mthinking about taking one of the established 2224's off of the 55 and replacing it with the new one, and putting the established 2224 on the 37. The canisters are full of ehfisub so they have lots of bacteria. Also next water change I'm going to put the water I take out of the 55 into the 37. If I do this do I still need to cycle the tank or should I just add ammonia for a few days and see if I get a spike?

TIA

Old water just means water + nitrates. Use fresh, conditioned water. Your mature filter will take care of the rest.

Agreed.

I've set up new tanks with 100% fresh (de-chlorinated) water, and mature filters, and placed fish in them the same day. No problem.

Lisa - I've kept many species of fish over the years, not just Africans. I suspect that Albert has kept more species than you & I put together. ;)

Unless your tap water varies greatly from your tank water, or the water the fish were previously kept in, it won't make a lick of difference.

BTW - some of the African species are far more sensitive to water parameters, and quality, than many of the various other tropical fish.

Okay, okay, fine. I know, I'm the greatest.

In anycase, more sensitive fish are as simple as a double dose of any water conditioner with a stress reliever (errr, read: tranquilizer) in it. If you're really worried, use water that's been aged and aerated for a day. For some species like cardinal tetras, R/O water is also a plus.

Like I was saying, the use of old water from another fish tank is redundant and completely unnecessary. I'm 100% sure of this and I have the experience to back it up.