LFS Metronidazole vs. Perscription Met

troutmaster

Would the Seachem brand of Met be any less effective then the perscription(for human) kind of met ?I am thinking that the LFS stuff is good for making money. I can get real perscription Met. My pharmasist is also looking at the availabilty of Dimemetronidazole.It is available in Canada with perscription. Anyone ever try this stuff? I have enough dosing info to either kill these fish or cure these fish. Any way at least my obsesing will be over. I actually called a vet and he told me the LFS stuff was vertually useless on larger fish like discus.Maybe neons? He also cautioned me on internet dosing info and said only he would be able to give me correct dosing info. But I have also played the vet game before. One "exotic animal" vet clinic told me they would not do anything for me unless I brought the fish in. I wish common sense would come in to play here. I told him how could I have faith in his ablities if he making stupid requests like that. Fecal sample of sick fish Ok. But bring in already stressed fish with internal parasites? Suck the cash out of ya game begins!!!!! Well I guess everyone got to make a buck.

Edited by troutmaster

I found out my vet is actually a fish fanatic (S.A. cichlids) from way back, when I requested a prescription of Met. from him to treat my 180 gal tank, some time ago. Apparently, pretty common to use pills (crushed into powder) for tanks. A 250 mg tablet (standard pill) will treat 10 gals. We also calculated the liquid form (for IV treatment) but it was considerably more expensive.

The script stuff is somewhat more pure and higher-grade, but good luck getting a doc to write you a script for it...often they would in the past, but the regulatory board has really tightened-up tegs on that sort of thing, and a doc could get suspended for writing a script that was not indicated by a patient's health.