Glo-Fish

Ryan

Has anybody seen these they are in the Aquarium fish magazine but i can find which isssure. They are a Zebra danio and they are red. I guess they glow under the right lighting too. They are banned in canada and california right now i guess. Kinda pisses me off i want some othe these beauties.

Riverferont has them, don't look all that cool though but maybe cause the lights were on. I see nothing wrong with these fish, They were created for a purpose same reason that birds use to travel down into mines with workers, when the bird starts sputtering get out, these fish are or were atleast used to test for sewage and toxin dumping at night, scientists could atleast see if the fish were going funky because of the glow and the glow is atleast a fairly natural substance from some type of jellyfish, at any rate they are legal here and in the USA as much as some people want them banned. Funny how after feeding thousands of danios to our cichlids, we all of a sudden have a heart for them. I would like to see if this substance in the danios comes out in my cichlids, that would be kinda cool. I am not sure of the price but give Riverfront a call they had lots last time I was there.

Here is the actual offical Canadian federal Government's position -----

QUOTE =

New Substances Program Advisory Note 2004-03

"Importing or Breeding Genetically Modified Tropical Fish1"

This Advisory Note is to inform importers and producers involved in the pet trade business that genetically modified tropical fish are subject to the New Substances Notification Regulations of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999.

Background

The Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 and its New Substances Notification Regulations (NSNR) apply to new substances that are manufactured in or imported to Canada. This includes new genetically modified organisms. Prior to their introduction to the Canadian market, manufacturers and importers of such substances are required to supply to the Minister of the Environment the information prescribed by these regulations that will allow this Minister and the Minister of Health to perform a risk assessment to determine if the organism poses a risk to the health of Canadians and to their environment.

Genetically modified tropical fish have recently been introduced to the global market. Bio-engineered zebra danio fish (sold as 'GloFishTM) and genetically modified Rice fish (sold as 'TK-FishTM) are examples of fluorescent fish being sold to the public. With the assistance of biotechnology, genes that allow jellyfish or sea anemones to fluoresce have been added to the genes of these tropical fish to give them a luminescent appearance. These fish come in a variety of colours. Their luminescence becomes more striking under ultraviolet light.

Legal Obligations and Responsibilities

Any person producing, breeding and/or importing these fish for personal use or for profit must provide specific information prescribed by the NSNR to Environment Canada. Based on this information, it will be determined if the fish pose a risk to the environment or human health. If necessary, risk management measures could be imposed.

Therefore, as for all other genetically modified organisms, all transgenic fish not found on the Domestic Substances List must be notified to the Minister of the Environment by submitting the prescribed information before their introduction to Canada.

Environment Canada recommends to all importers or producers of genetically modified fish to collect, at their place of business in a separate aquarium, all genetically modified fluorescent fish. Dead specimens are to be frozen. In the near future, Environment Canada will inform you on what to do next.

Contact Information

If you have any questions, please contact the New Substances Information Line at 1-800-567 1999 (within Canada), (819) 953 7156 (outside Canada), or by e-mail at nsn-infoline@ec.gc.ca.

Original signed by

David McBain

Director

New Substances Branch

Signed on March 19, 2004

1: This Advisory Note focuses on the import and production of genetically modified tropical aquarium fish but the NSNR apply to all genetically modified fish. These fish are living organisms, as defined in Part 6 of the CEPA 1999 which are substances that are animate products of biotechnology. 'Substance' and 'biotechnology' are defined in subsection 3(1) of the CEPA 1999; biotechnology means the application of science and engineering in the direct or indirect use of living organisms or parts or products of living organisms in their natural or modified form.

Disclaimer: Although care has been taken to ensure that the information found on this website accurately reflects the requirements prescribed, you are advised that, should any inconsistencies be found, the legal documents, printed in the Canada Gazette, will prevail.

HTH.

Smokey

One of the states banned their importation, probably california. I think one of the eastern states had a bill to do so - not sure if it passed.

They're actually a pretty neat looking fish you need an actinic bulb for them to truly shine though.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Toirtis.

And I personally agree.

Ryan - WELL THAT SUCKS!! LOL.... you are young enough to not know what has killed / altered / impossed permant damage to human life. IN THE LONG TERM...

sure it looks pretty ... but.........!!

Stay with natural species [ MPO.].

Smokey

Ya smokey i guess i thought about it. Those fish that have the body shape of the black skirts but they are blue and pink, anyway i dont buy them because of how they inject dye into the eggs to get these colours. So i guess Glo-fish are the same way. O well maybe one day they will do it through natural breeding.