Lava rock as bio filter for freshwater sump?

JonP

Hi, any thoughts on lava rock for bbq. Is it an effective way to use as bio media? heard  alot about it online but im not sure if its the right one. Tnx for your inputs. 

1D813374-CBF6-4417-B625-B5958EEC6AFB.jpeg

Edited by JonP
Adding a pic

I've used that lots of times. Excellent surface area, but it does break down over time, leaving a sludge at the bottom of your bio chamber in your sump

Ok, So i just need to remove  it before it breaks down and just replace it with quality stuff.  Yeah just wana try the DIY  alternative of biomedia and it seems its more than a hassle in the long run, might as well just get the quality ones.

Thanks for your insight. Cheers!!

There's lots of cheap plastic options that won't break down. Pot scrubbers work great

• 4 weeks later...

Lava Rock performs as well if not better than most other bio media. It performs best tho...inside canister filters and HOB filters at a size of 0.5" - 0.75" and Sump filters with a large volume to hold bio media may benefit from a larger size of 0.5" - 1.0"  Just like any other media it performs best when cleaned periodically. Coincidentally a person can purchase half inch lava rock by the bucket at most garden landscaping centers that sell bulk, for a very very reasonable price. $10 got me a life times supply! Just be sure to clean and rinse well before using. Save your money and use Lava rock so that you can spend your money on a quality filter. Seeing as you will be putting the lava rock into a filter do not use any pieces of lava rock smaller than what will slip through your filters media tray mesh.