Angelfish aggression

Hi everybody.  I have had the same 4 angelfish since they were about the size of a quarter.  They are about 4 inches now.  In the last week or so, 2 of them for the most part stay in one corner, and the smaller of those 2 started raising cane with the other 2.  At first it was only when the other 2 came close but now it purposely comes out of the corner to lunge at the others.  

Will they hurt each other?  Is there anything I can/should be doing?  Is It time to start looking for a new home for the miserable little bugger?

55 gallon

pH  7.6

Ammonia   0

Nitrite     0

Nitrate    10

Temp    24

Once again, thanks in advance. 

Thanks geleen .  It seems this is taking longer than I expected.  Eggs have been laid and taken care of by the filters.  The eggs  actually appeared on the 14th--but the aggression is I think, a little worse.  In your opinion, will things get better?  I feel bad for the 2 that are forced to stay in a corner.

I would bet that there is some wigglers still attached to a surface where they are defending. ....they will defend fry vigorously until they eaten or removed. The aggression stops then.....till the next time.

geleen.  Thanks for the reply.  I don't know how often angelfish will lay eggs, but a whole bunch more were laid last night--maybe the other 2 had them?  Anyway is was like a downtown Chicago gang war in a 55 gallon tank.  All day the 2 pairs were at each other, seeming to get worse as time went on.  About an hour ago one had another pinned down on the gravel and I thought it was going to kill the other.  I put both of the first pair in the other tank for now, and put an ad on facebook, trying to get rid of them.  Once they are added to this tank, according to Aqadisor, the tank is over full.  I can live with a little additional maintanance  for now but there are 12 Tiger Barbs in this tank.  The angels seem to have taken over one corner and the tigers split but I thought eventually the tigers would nip fins?  Have you got any suggestions until I am able to find a home for them?  Once again, thanks.     

As soon as there are spawning hormones in the water, other pairs would be triggered into spawning as well. Angels quite often spawn every 10 to 14 days.  While they can seriously injure and kill, usually that is not the case.  Having 12 barbs in a tank usually prevents them from nipping at other species, they are too busy among themselfs.One pair of angelfish will be happy in a 20 gallon tall. So they don’t need all that much room. Having some predatory species like, for instance rainbow fish or Bristlenose pleco ( and many others) in the tank helps by them stealing the eggs and  limits the time of aggression. 

You could use An eggcrate divider in the 55. Certain species of cichlids can and will be very aggressive and for some of usthat can be hard to take.

Edited by geleen

Hi geleen.  Yeah , I feel guilty locking a living thing in a box of water against their will, and not giving it a good life.  I found a lady that was able to take the pair of angels and they left yesterday.  She tells me they are doing good and will be happy.  I did my usual sunday water change and cleaning today--and that tank now has more eggs.  I realize that will not be a problem--just think it is odd that from what I read, so many people try to get a mating pair, yet we bought these from 2 different stores the same day, and out of 4, we had 2 mating pair.  Thanks for your advise.

• 2 years later...