Number: schooler+ Cory + guarami

LanaCarrie

I’m getting a 20 gallon aquarium (12.5 deepx 24 wide x 16.5 high with heater and s20 marina clip on filter). I’ve researched as much as I can and think I’d like to have the following:

schoolers: Cardinal or some other tetras or cherry barbs or celestial pearl danios 

centerpiece: honey guaramI(s)

bottom: panda or salt and pepper cory

i don’t want to overload my tank and I’m new to the hobby.  I like the idea of real plants but have been told to start with fake so I plan to. 

Questions:

How many schoolers should I get? Could I have two sets?  Are there any of the above that are hardier than others?  Any recommendations for an alternative (would like colourful)

do I get 1 honey or a pair?  Is there an alternate I should consider (dwarf guarami seem to be susceptible to sickness and betas seem like too much of a fun nipping risk)

is 4 Cory’s not enough (some places say yes, others say at least 6)

do I get an algae eater like Otos too?  How many?

Are shrimp or snails an option or does this become too much for a 20 gallon?

thanks for any advice you have to offer  

For you tank i would recommend 2 honey gourami's they tend to like company and my honey is extremly docile and active compared to my dwarf gourami that hid quite a bit.

For the tetras i would recommend 7-8 cardinal tetras.

In my experience the corys would do ok in a group of 4 but more with a schooling fish is always better.