Betta Imbellis

Wackinator

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has had any success in keeping betta imbellis. I bought a pair and put them in my 10 gallon along with guppies and mollies but last week i rehomed the other fish so that my betta pair could be on its own and hopefully less stressed. For some reason the pair being by themselves has resulted in the pair being more stressed, the tank is moderately planted but the female always seems to be hiding and has vertical stripes most of the time. I know thats generally associated with breeding but there is no nest or anything. 

My main question is regarding if i can get more bettas or even keep betta mahachai or smaragdina in with the imbellis? Information online on wild bettas seems to be much harder to find and ive even read that that you can only keep two imbellis males together if your tank is at least a 33 gallon. Am i able to keep more imbellis in a 10 gallon? 2 males and 3-4 females or is that too much? Is it possible to keep a pair of mahachai or smaragdina in with my imbellis? Also my imbellis look nothing like the imbellis you see when you google, they also dont have much color for the most part, is that normal? or do they get more colorful when a but older? 
Thanks in advance for any help. 

Wild bettas can be pretty shy and many of them are amazing jumpers too.  I have kept many of them and find they are happiest in a very well covered tank with little light and lots of cover. I also find the aggression with the males can be diffused by having more fish.  My species tank has been a host to several types of wild bettas at the same time. I find if they're similar size, they should be okay. I have not found the smaragdina or the imbellis to be very colourful but the mahachai have(they also can be kept in brackish water). Hopefully this helps!!

• 2 weeks later...