Baby BristlenosPlecos

katmintblue

So, my BN's are VERY forgiving & have blessed my with a third batch of babies!  Just curious what others have done for their care.  They are approx a month old, still have Dad in the baby tank, thinking of returning him to the main tank back with his mate....it is day two of all the babies staying out & not returning to their ship (cave)......I have been feeding broken algae wafers as well as spirulina flakes.  They seem to be thriving so far....  All were moved to a baby tank as soon as i knew for sure that there were babies.  My first batch of babies did not survive, left them with my hubby when I was away....needless to say he didn't do well caring for them.  The second batch also did not make it as my Loach figured out there were babies in the ship & slammed into it repeatedly.....needless to say, there were no more babies.  with this latest batch I would like to see them actually survive!  any advise for care would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance!  Kat     PS:  If anyone is looking for BN's.....I have a whole lot (if they all survive this time)!

I too breed albino bristlenose plecos and have been successful so far.  I do not remove them from their tank, as soon as i see them emerging i feed  Micro Golden Pearls, Indian Almond Leaves are always in the tank, daily small wedge of zucchini always in the tank, ground up flakes and algae wafers.  There is a sponge filter, and lots of plants in the tank and water change weekly.  I breed in 40g. 15g. 25g. and 10g. tanks. In these tanks I also breed red nose guppies successfully.  Temp is around 78.

Nancy

Sounds like the loach and any other fish may be the issue., eating the fry. A fry tank with algae pellets should work as long as they're fed. You may have to have a long talk with hubby about this...

Thanks everyone,  so far my baby BN's are thriving.  The only other fish in the tank are Daddy & a baby Swordtail.  Wondering when would be a good time to return Dad back to the big tank with his mate?  So far my daughter & I have counted about 100 babies.  Anyone looking for BN's?  LOL!  Free to good homes....

OK, so a new question to go with my previous one.....I am noticing that some of the babies are white while most are dark like the parents.....is this normal?  Will they eventually color up like the parents?  Or maybe they haven't matured as quickly as the others?  They are of equal size to their siblings.....and there are only a few that haven't colored up.....Thanks for any info.  Kat