looking for PraziPro

dork

I was in Big Al's today looking for some medicine for my fish mostly Cown Loaches they seem to have a dose of some worms a couple of them are looking very skinny.

I was told by Big Al's staff and they no longer can sell PraziPro, could your help please and tell me what everybody else is doing to treat worms.

Health Canada has taken all the fish medications out of the fish stores. If you want to treat your fish you now need to take them to a vet. You can only get fish medications by prescription from a vet now. You can thank the government for that one. LMFAO

Edited by t-man

• 2 months later...

I just setup a 10 Gallon planted tank in my sons room with some new guppies. Saw some flashing, and went to order Seachem Paraguard (I have used it successfully for ectoparasites in the past) off of Amazon. Cant find it anymore. I cant believe they have removed medications that are not antibiotics as well. This is complete nonsense.

What are AA people doing to treat their fish?

Really only course is to go to the veterinarian.  Might find a hobbyist with old stock kicking around but you can't get anything anywhere but maybe some ich cure. Everything coming out now to treat fish is natural remedies and they do squat. Health Canada is the one to blame. 

I went and talked to Norm @ Pisces. He confirmed they have no access to fish medications, and that most of their stock is still coming from overseas which still has access to limitless medications. The disparity between the ubiquitous use of antibiotics in overseas breeders, and customers in Canada having nothing to treat sick fish is unbelievable. He tried selling me this "Probiotic" stuff called Fish-FX but it immediately gave me snake oil vibes when it said "Chemical Free", but it contains chemicals such as (DiHydrogenMonoxide)(H2O)(Water) and no explanation on the mechanism of how it magically cures fish (as a Biologist my cynicism really gets the worst of me when people market snake oil to people who are genuinely trying to help sick animals). I guess the next step is to try and see if a new "Black Market" emerges from all this, and I can make some dubious ethical decisions just to add a few milligrams of Metronidazole to a fish tank. The last thing I will say is, once Pisces runs out of their backroom supply, i'm curious to see if the thousands of antibiotic resistant fish they import every week will hurt their profits because they might have no way to keep them alive?

*For the record I love Pisces (my kids do as well) and they get a lot of money from me*

• 1 year later...

Late to this forum, but in case anybody is currently reading it. Decided to get back into my old hobby during Covid, which I understand a lot of people did. Needed something to stare at besides the TV. Had to buy a new tank, updated lighting. Still had my old Eheim 2215 and some other left over 'stuff'. I should have gone to a LFS before hand and checked out the prices of livestock/plants etc. too. I nearly crapped in my newly cycled tank. Things certainly got a LOT more expensive in my 15 year absence. I used to think paying 20.00 for a fish was extravagant. I paid 30.00 for my Zebra Pleco back then. When Big Als used to be on Heritage. Just got one for 200.00 which is a deal these days. BUT I remember when I used to be good looking too.... AND the plants. I'm a gardener by trade so I like live green things, especially in the winter. But to get back on track. Had an outbreak of Ich, who doesn't at some time. Did all the research about meds and what would be safe for my Pleco. Was surprised to find out I couldn't buy anything effective in Calgary. Ordered some Kordon Rid x online but of course long delivery date. Did my salt baths, raised temp, garlic, water changes and bought a UV light. All worked out with a few losses. NOW one of my EBR contracted what I can only think is an internal parasite. He's not going to make it. I only recently learned about the Canadian Gov't ban on these medications. I just thought it was a covid/demand/shipping thing like so many other things or I would have been on the ball and ordered some Prazipro ahead of time, or even some API general cure. Cheapest I could do Prazipro was 69.00 for 16 oz. off of Amazon.com. Crazy. The government is worried about these chemicals going into our water supply yet they continue to let big business pollute our major rivers and Great Lakes, as well as the air we breathe. Kinda ironic that if they really cared that much they don't stop the import on these meds/treatments. Just ban them for being on the brick and mortar store shelves. Typival. As for what FunkSolid said, I'm sure prices of livestock has increased because they lose many fish (if they quarantine) due to the fact they can't do the effective preventative measures before they put them up for sale. Either that or they have to refund money for sick fish they sold. Enough of my rant. Covid/nothing to do.