Gender of my Angelfish? Does it matter?

new2fish

Hi, I hope someone can help with my issue....

I have 2 angelfish that are spawning (or trying, anyway).  I have read that often the first egg-laying efforts can be aborted, and then the eggs are eaten. But this pair have laid eggs 8-10 times over the last few months.  They are laying them on a leaf. They do this overnight, so I never get a chanced to see which one is laying, and which one is fertilizing...or if either is fertilizing.  But within a day, every time, the eggs turn white (calcify?) and, then they're gone, I presume eaten overnight as well. 

They rigorously defend their leaf, until it's obvious that the eggs are not viable.  They recently have become very aggressive towards each other.

Is it possible that both are female, so the eggs *never* are fertilized? It makes sense that they *have* to be a male and a female, else there wouldn't be the bonding and the drive to mate....but I can't understand how this hasn't moved forward, after so many attempts. I have tried to sex them, but am not figuring this out, at all.  Assorted websites say that it's easier to sex them via their head shape than their genitalia - is this true?  Any sure-fire tips at trying to determine which is which? (or does this even matter)??

After the first egg-laying, I tried to separate their side of the tank with netting, which did not work out very well. Since then, I've just let them be.  Placing them in a separate tank is really not an option.

They are in a 75 gallon community tank; the other fish are assorted tetras (like maybe 10), 6 mollies, 4 other, small angelfish (these seem to have paired off recently also), and a catfish.

Any suggestions? Do I just let them do what they're doing, and hope eventually a clutch lives and then I have to worry about what to do with the fry?

Thanks for any and all help. I will continue to try to get pictures of them uploaded.

Cheers, Kate

I'm not sure if they are both female but my thoughts are to artificially hatch the eggs. Take the eggs out and put them in a separate tank with some anti-fungaland an airstone on them and keep them warm(80 degrees). See if they hatch. Keep us up to date and good luck!!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the idea. They just laid another batch of eggs. If any are left tomorrow (they are often eaten overnight, I presume by Mom & Dad?, as they are pretty defensive of their leaf!), I will try this out. Else will be prepared for the next batch.

Will let you know!!

Soooo..... no eggs left this morning.

However, I went out and bought a breeder tank today. My thought was to get it established, and move my angel pair into that tank. Once they are happy, hopefully they will lay.....then move them back to the community tank and see if the eggs will hatch.

BUT here's the fun!!! I have a new breeding pair! On the other side of the tank, on another leaf, I actually watched the little female lay eggs, and then her male lay milt. So I know who is who in *this* relationship. Will check on their leaf tomorrow, but maybe it's gonna be this new pair of angel lovefish that get the rights to the breeding tank....

Will let you know. But I'm very excited.

• 2 weeks later...