Indian almond leaves and water changes

maligne

Iv added Indian almond leaves to my killifish set up. My nitrates haven't changed from .5 in the last two weeks and everything else is good. But I figured I should probably do a water change any way. Iv never uses Almond leaves before. I feel they have lowered my ph just a touch. If it continues to lower, ( which is what I want) how do you manage water changes when your tank slowly lowers over time but your tap water does not? Is this an issue?

You can use RO water augmented with some tap to keep the pH low. AB tap water is buffered pretty well, so the almond leaves may not be altering the pH a whole lot - might just be realising lots of tannins to change the color of the water. If you're doing 20-50% WCs weekly you should need fine using tap water.

BTW, with high Cl content sure to spring runoff, you'll want to use enough dechlorination to treat the full tank volume, or go 2-3x the normal dose.