Ram Death

Moogled

Guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle here.

I have the following in a 10 gallon:

2 Gold Rams

4 Blue Rams

2 Flame Gouramis

They've been getting along pretty well, but something strange is occurring. One of my Gold rams got sick and died. The day after, another Gold Ram died. They were fine several days before and there has been no change in color. As of now, one of my Blue rams has clamped fins and it seems like he's ready to bite the dust as well.

Any suggestions on what might be happening? I tested the water and the results are fine, so I'm assuming it might be an infection of some sort.

Cheers,

Marco

10g tanks are subjected to large changes in water chemestry and temperature. It is possible that there was a spike and this is what is killing them off. I found it more difficult to maintain my 25 G tank than my 35 or my 90. Due to the small water volume, any change is almost linear and puts stress on fish. If the fish were in a weakened state to begin with, this can spell the end for them.

The 1" of fish/gal is a good rule for schooling fish, or just a general rule of thumb; but, you have to consider what characteristics fish have when stocking a small tank.

Rams are territorial. Even in my 55 gal, I didn't really have enough room for the 5 Bolivian Rams I had - and they're a bit bigger than Germans (blues & golds are the same species).

If they're sexable, I'd stick w. a pair in your 10 gal, at most.

If you want more fish, maybe get a few mid-water fish like small tetras or rasboras, and make sure you have adequate filtration. Probably something rated for 15+ gallons would be preferable.

HTH.