Fish Behaviour

cgmac

My Bleeding Heart Tetras are having fun while the lights are off......schooling around their 33 gal home. One of the four Ottos I recently got seems to like to swim with them. This Otto is not an "attack Otto", just hangin' with his new tank mates. These Ottos are awesome....goin to town on the algae. I saw one sitting on one of the steps in the Hagen bubble ladder. It is now clean after being a bit dusty last night. I love these little guys!

• 3 years later...
I agree, otocinlus' (otocincli? hehe) are way under-rated.

I have a handful of them in a number of my tanks and they love schooling with other fish as well - especially the rasboras. Any they always look so excited when they swim with the other fish too!

I was wondering how you keep your otos healthy. I love them in my tank but I can't get them to survive more than 3 or 4 months. I have enough algae for them to eat but can't get them to eat anything else as they are too timid. If I put algae wafers or Zuchinni in the tank my loaches will eat it instead. BTW, my other fish are healthly and many years old.

I can never keep otos for very long either. It would be nice to be able to, because the BN Pleco in my 33g is just too much for it I think...

I have found that they really need a lot of live plants to be healthy and happy. I think they eat the algae and the little organisms living in the algae. I found that mine really prefer brown algae (diatoms) over any other type of algae, so they need more than algae to survive and thrive.