Considering Saltwater fish...

Molino

Once I move some of my freshwater fish into their new tank, I'll have an empty 55 gallon tank (4' long by 12" deep) to re-stock. I was originally thinking some other freshwater fish, but lately I've been debating changing that tank to a Saltwater tank. I think I would stick to a fish only tank, with some live rock. Not a reef tank.

If I do this I would prefer either one large fish or 2-3 somewhat large fish. Something that is not shy. Any suggestions? I know very little about Saltwater fish.

Another question I have and have not been able to find is some good internet sites which have "profiles" of a large variety of Saltwater fish. Anyone know of some great sites where I can browse through most or a lot of the commonly available SW fish? (including descriptions, compatible tankmates, sizes, behaviour, etc).

If I do go ahead with a Saltwater tank, I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions to come :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot.

Thanks for the links. At this point I am considering the Chromis cyanea (Blue Chromis), possibly 3-4 (would more that 4 be ok?) and one other fish... Maybe a Dwarf Anglefish of some sort? Possibly a Tomato Clown? I think I have ruled out a single large fish (large that is for a 55 gal), in case I decide to change it to a reef tank.

Anyone have any suggestions that would work with the above, or something entirely different?

http://reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name...=showpage&pid=1

Chromis don't retain their schooling behavior unless they are kept on larger groups (8+).

If you keep clowns, try to get them in pairs, one big and one small. They're all born male with the dominant fish changing sex and becoming a female.

Dwarf angels are nice but for mature tanks only.

Chromis don't retain their schooling behavior unless they are kept on larger groups (8+).

My three I picked up do school right now, but I certainly wish I had a larger group of them. They're a great addition to the tank.

Chromis don't retain their schooling behavior unless they are kept on larger groups (8+)

That's too bad, it'd be nice if they kept their schooling behaviour, but it's ok if they don't. I think 8 of these along with some other fish would be too much for a 55 gallon tank.

Dwarf angels are nice but for mature tanks only.

I've read it's best to introduce them last anyways (for peaceful communities) as they tend to be the more aggresive fish. Is another reason to introduce them last because they graze on the algea and stuff on the live rock which would take awhile to establish? The Dwarf Angel I'm leaning towards is the Flame Angelfish (Centropyge loricula).

albert is right damsels do get mean. Ive been lucky and they have never gone after my other fish. But they do attack me. dunl will find that out after the four stripes he got off me have been in his tank awhile.

I do stickly salt and my advice to you is that when starting out with a pair of damsels and a pair of clowns. clarkii and tomatoes are nice but for the novice your better to go with false percs.

You've had yours for a short period of time. Over the span of several months, the chromisrealize that they no longer need to use the school as a defensive mechanism and revert to regular bullying damselfish behavior.

Yep. I had three that schooled, then 2 that paired up, then one that kept the other hiding in a corner. It would be nice to have tank large enough for a decent school.

Thanks again for the replies and ideas!

I was planning on cycling the tank before I do add any of these fish. I assume, even once cycled, I would have to add the fish over time to keep the tank from having any ammonia spikes, etc?

These are my stocking plans as of now:

8 Chromis cyanea (Blue Chromis)

1 Flame Angelfish (Dwarf)

1 or 2 false percs

Would that be ok and leave room for one Blenny later on?