new tank fish loss HELP

ditherfish

Off of another site..............

"I called and talked with Ebo Jager. They said that depending on where the unit is sold, the government requires them to be UL approved if they want to be able to sell it as a "submersable" unit. They said there is no difference between the models with and without this labeling and it is only to comply with the laws in those areas. They said it was ok to go ahead and completely submerse the unit in the water.

BigAl's is in Canada and they are one of the countries that require the UL rating so that is why since we both bought one from them they came with this wording imprinted."

FYI - Tronic heaters have the same verbage about not submersing below the line (which is marked near the top of the heater).

Interesting considering these are made by Hagen (which is based in Canada) and sold in Canada, and advertised as "fully submersible" on their Canadian site, yet are not marked as such on the packages, and even carry the same warning as the E-J heaters. Go figure .....

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquati...=01007620011001

Dither - the ebo.jages are 100% submergable. throw it into the tank. [ well not throw][ read below].

The Tronic heaters are tuff units. thick glass, good electronics. Very Accurate.,

Very stable. the tanks at the shop are running the 50 watt units. 18 months now, and only one fataliity - I crack the glass. Low water level. wc...

However - I only use the Ebo.Jagers 250 watt uniits.. personally.

I have been using them for over a decade. Never any problem. Only broke one....operater manlipitaiton,,, I dropped it!!! Took it apart great stuff inside..

the Water line is a safety factor. The Seal where the electric chord enters the heater's head ... the only point where a leak ''may occurr""..

CSA - Canadian Standards Act. These are the people who grant the license's to sell a product in Canada.

UL - Underwritters Labratory. these are the people who determine if a product is safe, for use by the general public.

ALL PRODUCTS SOLD IN CANADA ''MUST'' CARRY THE CSA AND USUALLY THE UL STAMP.

Some products do not and are NOT LEGAL FOR SALE. IN Canada.

[check with any insurance company when a claim is processed.]

Smokey

I have 12 brand new E.J 250 w units sitting Here on my deak top ... I opened the box and on the head of the heaters are the saftey stamps. Whewwwww!!!!

Thanks for the heater info! Whew! Heater now submersed. All fish seem happy. Levels OK.

I'm going to do a water change (40%) today- if after 3 days everyone is still alive and happy, perhaps the first set of fish were not as hardy as those from Calgary. They appeared to be healthy, but perhaps were just more stressed? Odd- they had been at the RD store for nearly 2 weeks...

If I had toxins in the water from the stones or something else, I'd have expected the other cories or the other angels to also become sick.

ditherfish:

WHAT ARE YOUR NITRATE NUMBERS - before w/c and after the w/c.?

Nitrate removal - Yes, you are correct; practically speaking w/c's are the best and most economical means. :) vacum the sh$3 while you at it! Wipe the glass surfaces, also. Keep the tank clean :D .

Reguarding the heater.... I do not like to use the heater holder. I have had species of fish who seem to get caught between it and the heater. Just let the heater ''lay/float off the bottom.

Be sure to moniter the tank's temperature until you get the correct heat for the tank.

Qt- [if I had toxins in the water from the stones or something else, I'd have expected the other cories or the other angels to also become sick. ] not necessarily. Watch the fish for any unusual behaviour!!!!

Do some thinking and try to figure what may have caused the orginal problem. This may prevent such an occurance from happeniong again. :)

Good luch with the new fish.

Smokey

Thanks Smokey!

Nitrates were about 20 ppm - as I posted earlier. I didn't check again after the W/C. I just did another 25% change last night- I will do a full set of tests this weekend.

I did vacuum the gravel when I did the 40% change- but not this time. The tank glass is amazingly free of crud or algae! So I didn't fuss too much with it- I figured the fish didn't need me poking about more than absolutely necessary - if the problem was stress related.

Tank stable at 82F. I think I'll try your suggestion about no heater holder- I never thought that was an option! :o But I have had problems in the past (distant past) with fish getting wedged between the heater and the glass, so no holder sounds like a plan.

Everyone that I can see looks happy! Who knows about the clown pleco though. I plan to add a new peice of shale for a background, and remove some more slate - once I'm sure that everything is OK- in a few weeks. I will have to do some major tank disturbance then. I'll try to spot him then. It's my favourite fish- :wub: but I've provided many many hiding spots - so it's happy, even if I'm not.

No odd behaviour- all 4 angels hang out together some of the time. Angels cover the entire tank territory. Some schooling with the 4 cories, but often only 2 together. It's rare to even see all 4, let alone for them all to be swimming together. In the mornings though there is sometimes a little pile of cories in the corner when the room lights first come on.

The angels don't like Tetra tubifex cubes- but other than that, they are very hungry. They devour bloodworms.

As for the cause of the angel and corie deaths? I really think it was just stress now- that the fish were in a weakened state and couldn't handle being moved into a new environment. The Calgary fish showed absolutely no signs of stress after their first night in the tank, and have settled in, non-skittish. The Red Deer fish remaining all seem fine as well- which makes me think that a build-up of something (say, some unseen metal in the rock or something) is not a likely cause. The dead fish showed no visible signs of illness or disease - so I don't think it was anything specific.

I just remembered - prior to the deaths, I did feed a small peice of parboiled lettuce, as well as some peeled zuchini. I removed both after a day in the tank. Could there have been pesticides? Lettuce was very well washed, and steeped in boiling water! Zuchini cube first went in raw, but peeled - floated of course - so I replaced it with another peeled and parboiled cube. Any chance that this is related to the deaths?? I would like to give the angels another lettuce treat - and the cories like the zuke.

So what do I do with the lfs credit for 3 angels? I would like some top water fish, but the 20g tank is too full now with 3 toonie sized angels, 1 quarter size angel, 4 cories and a clown pleco.

• 3 weeks later...

Well- that's a thought Garhan- but like the rocks mentioned above- the symptoms didn't really support an environmental contaminant leaching into the water.

But in any case- it was pure silicon- it's not in front of me at the moment- but I got it from Canadian Tire in the caulking gun size. I bought way too many it turns out- but it is safe for aquariums, absolutely. Plus it cured and was rinsed and re rinsed. Then it sat and soaked in the tank while it cycled- followed by a nearly full water change.

Since I posted last- no problems.