Cycling with existing filters

Mbuna Ron

When cycling a new tank with existing filters and media how long will the beneficial bacteria last without the introduction of fish to produce ammonia? Should hardy fish be put in immediately (assuming the water has no chlorine/chloramine) in conjunction with the used media bacteria or can the bacteria last without the fish so as to stabilize water conditions? As well. I have been told that the introduction of a large amount of existing plants along with a bacteria colony (filter) will result in not having any spike. I have done this with smaller tanks with no loss however I am now setting up a 130 gallon and thought I'd seek input.

Edited by Mbuna Ron

The bacteria will last as long as the Ammonia lasts for them to feed on. If you dont want to chance ptting fish in right away, you can go and buy some ammonia at the store and add that to keep it up until it has cycled. Just be sure to read the label and that there are NO other additives in the ammonia. Or you could always come over and get some from me.

Not sure about adding plants tho!