protein skimmer cleaning

dunl

So in cleaning my protein skimmer tonight, I was thinking.....

If the foam accumulates and then leaves behind the protein deposits, do I assume correctly that if I empty it but do not wipe it clean, that is a good thing, as the protein will have something to stick to, instead of a clean plastic surface?

After cleaning you need a thin layer of "scum" to build up to allow the bubbles to make their way up to the collection chamber. Watch your skimmer after cleaning, nothing will collect for anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours until that film builds back up again.

However when too much builds up, it will impede skimmate collection, hindering the protein laden foam from "climbing" its way up.

Just think of it as a balance. This is why some larger systems use two skimmers. there is always at least one skimmer online, since cleaning a large skimmer and allowing it to do its break-in after cleaning can take quite a bit of time.

Of course, break-in is 2 different things, and to some extent they have to be considered separately.

The initial break-in (when it's brand new) can take 24-48 hours. In this time the manufacturing residues are being 'washed' off, the acrylic is absorbing water, and there is a coating of residue being added.

When you clean, the break-in takes less time, generally you're not adding new residues, the acrylics already reached its balance of water content. Basically you're waiting for a new layer of residue to 'grease up' the riser. Generally doesn't take all that long.

Andy