Fish ...up close and personal

frybaby

:huh: Well, the yellow lab is about 3yrs old..and hubby feeds them mostly. He gives them a variety of different kinds of pellets and floating pellets. We like to think of him as not fat but "fluffy" lol..he is one of the first cichlids we bought .

Thankyou for the nice comments on the pictures. I enjoyed making the album to show you...I use a Toshiba 3.2megapixel..it is my first digital camera that I have had for about a year. When I take closeups I will use the red eye reduction mode and it seems to help show them up better. I also use the zoom on it but not the micron setting. :)

frybaby ...... I mean this in only a respectful way, so I hope you accept my advice in the manner it's being offered ....... your hubby is feeding your fish far too much food, and their obesity will lead to a premature death. Here's a pic of my largest lab, which is two years old & 4".

lab5.jpg

laB-TANK8.jpg

I do appreciate the advise on the fish ..that is why I joined. To learn what I can. We have had these tanks awhile now but I am a novice..as is my husband. I am willing to join groups like this and learn. I try to pass on what I have learned but sometimes he ..well..doesnt listen :unsure: I have explained that they do better with less food, and can even go a day without food. Maybe if he hears it from some men here he will listen ;) I try to get him to come look at the posts here..maybe he will join on his own <_<

I dont know what that bright Peacock looking fish is...wish I did. I have looked and looked and cant find one just like it. I know he bought it at the LFS but he cant remember the name. Anyone want to take a stab at identifying it for me ???

Just in case your hubby pops in. :)

Someone once asked me about how much food they should feed their cichlids, and this was my response.

Feed amounts is something that best comes with experience, and is difficult to explain, but I'll take a shot at it.

Imagine that your fishes stomach is approx the size of their eye, then imagine the food you are feeding expands 2-3 times when it takes on tank water, or fluids from their stomach.

Truth is fish need very little food to survive, and feeding too much food is far more common with new fish owners. Go easy & watch your fish closely for a few months. If they don't show any growth in 2-3 months, increase the amount, if they seem to be growing a lot, ease up a bit on the feedings. It's far better to feed a little less, than a little too much, and Cichlids act as though they are *always* starving, so don't let them fool you.

Not very scientific, but I hope that helps.

I also want to add that 'holding' females can survive for 3-4 weeks (sometimes even longer) with no food, and I know many people who go away for a few days & leave their fish with no food while they're gone. The fish do not look any worse for wear when they return.

Hope that helps.