Quick help please!

Mighty Prawn

I have 2 platies, both females, one of them is really fat for the last week or so, maybe 2 weeks. We thought she was pregnant. These 2 fish are sticking to the top of the tank, they literally look like they are on rails they don't leave the top at all. Their mouths are almost touching the surface, and their gills seem to be going faster than usual. Now, I thought something may be dead in the tank I can't see, fowling up the water, but, every other fish seems to be acting normal comparitively.

Though, there are 4 male platies, and they are acting odd as well, they seem to have their fins all erect compared to usual, they seem stiff and are all flared out. They are suddenly sticking very tightly together, in a tight bunch, and sticking pretty close to my betta splenden, and getting right up beside him. They're not nipping at him or anything, they're just crowding him, he's been nipping at them sort of when they do this, and after about 10 minutes of this, he finally flared at them and charged the group aggressively.

Any idea of what is going on?! I am mainly concerned with the 2 platies. I am going to do some water tests for the nitrites, ammonia and nitrates right after this post, but 2 days ago all my levels for everything were in exactly the optimal place. I did a 15% water change yesterday, and that's all that has changed.

Help meeeee!

-Hideo

Also, the one I thought was pregnant is a gold twinbar, so I can see her gills, and they seem a little redder than usual, and compared to the other twinbar.

-Hideo

Nitrates and Nitrites are at zero, ammonia test looks good, too. It's in the optimal zone.

I guess it could be some kind of parasite... Are gill flukes possible, since it's only affecting 2 fish?

-Hideo

Gill flukes? Anything is possible. Though gill flukes usually only happen with wild caught. But it is possible that they have been housed with wild-caught fish and contracted it. Keep up the water changes until you figure this out.

Maybe use something gentle while you figure this out....like a touch of salt (Platies are supposed to like salt) and Melafix. Take the Betta out. He/she will be fine in a bowl while you look after the Platies. (Just make sure to give the Betta water changes every couple of day if it is a small container and keep it in a warm place of the house.

I have 6 males including a baby, 4 females and a sick female in a hospital tank. She should be coming back soon, though. Probably next weekend she'll be fully healed up.

I had more platies before, but they died from extremely high nitrate levels. (I didn't know about the fishless cycle before I started this tank) They were all females. I also have 7 emperor tetras, 7 gold zebra danios, 1 male betta, 3 dojo loaches and 3 bristlenose plecos (juveniles). There's also a ghost shrimp somewhere in there.

-Hideo

55 gallon tank currently.

I have a hospital tank, but it's occupied by a fish with an open wound that was previously infected.

I may have to get a couple other hospital tanks.

-Hideo

Big Al's has 10 gal tanks for $7. I think they're sold out, but 'til the end of the week, you can get a rain check 'til new stock comes in. Should be early next week, I believe is what they said.