Sponge filters

Tanker

Hey, I have been dabbling with sponge filters in my fry tanks and now that I have four set up (and 6 more being started the next few days) I need to start planning for the long haul.

Basically what I am hoping is someone can either point to a resource or type me out a book on what size of filter with how much air running it will do what size of tank? What are the hazards of running too much air pressure/not enough and how does sponge size vs. air/water flow work? Is filter efficiency dependant on size of bubble through the cylinder (do finer bubbles move more water than larger ones)? Can you hook up a small powerhead to the top of a large sponge filter (a la UGF)?

Bonus question for fun: Is there a way to make sponge filters quiet? (besides 'turn them off'.)

Sizing... Well as they're generally used for breeders, lets just say they can generally provide filtration for more than you can pack into the tank. Generally I look more at water movement over actual filtering ability. My 55 has 2 at opposite ends, the 20s generally have one (often the actual breeding tank will have 2, prepping one for movement into the fry tank).

Bigger bubbles move more water - many breeders run lines straight into the lift tube without an airstone. You can slap a powerhead on if you wish, but then you've got to make sure your getting proper oxygenation with a powerhead at the surface.

Quiet? They are quiet... About the loudest part of my breeding tanks is the airpump that runs them.

Andy

Just realized this probably should have been in the Equipment section... but breeders may have more experience, so I'll leave it here, pending other Mod's decisions...

I find the noise of the bubbles to be quite loud... burbling and gurgling and making me want to make my water... even with the door to the room closed. Hmph... such is the price for feeding my God Complex, I suppose.

So the filters you use are the square ones you have for sale (and the same ones I am thinking of picking up a few of from you)? Any idea what pressure you're running through the line? Or how do you know when is enough for air? I don't want to either have too low of pressure and poor circulation or end up over poswering them and spend a chunk of change on pumps (and hence, more noise) than I have to.

Suggestions are welcome on quiet, high flow pumps...

Bigger bubbles will be louder yes, but I hardly notice the bubbles coming from mine. I might just have gotten used to it.

I'm currently running 6 sponge filters, an airlift, and 2 air driven skimmers off a single dual outlet airpump (got it from golds - rena? biggest one they sold). Don't need a lot of air movement to make them work, just need a steady stream of bubbles.

Andy

For long term, and if you are still in the mood for buying tanks, maybe look into a small blower instead of a pump. Usually only good for massive gallons of tank space, and a fishroom.

Ya, eventually I'll pick up some monster pump (Hello Princess Auto! :lol: ) but for now I'm sticking to the two pumps I have. From the replies here I have determined that I had my air pressure WAY too high on the sponges I was running. I have two pumps now, and they should be adequate for my current set up of 5's, 10's and 20's. Once I get the 'real' fish room next summer (moving to a townhome and setting up in the basement) then I'll have more time, space and money from the wedding presents to spend.

We're going to register at Riverfront -roll-

You should take a trip over to Aquagiant. They have boyu branded versions of the Hydro Sponge sytle filter. Those things are awesome and I think the bigest model goes for $6.49 compared to the $30 you'd see the Hydro ones for at most stores. I grab a couple every time I'm in Edmonton. I'm starting to ditch hang ons in my smaller fw puffer tanks and use those instead.

I prefer to drive mine with powerheads but if you are using air the best thing you can do is put a cheap little needle valve in line with each filter. There is definately a sweet spot with these things, too much air and you won't actually move any water. Play around with it a bit until you get the hand of it.

The smallest and meduim sizes from AG are what I use ;) At least until my order from AndyL comes in later this week!

I run two double outlet air pumps (both rated about 5 watts) and run each to a manifold where I have nearly finite control. I certainly agree with the 'sweet spot'; as previously noted I was pushing too much air before and basically overpowering the sponges... since backing off not only are the fish happier, but the decibel level in the room has dropped considerably. Now it's a nice rolling gurgle, as opposed to the roaring bubbles.

As well, I found the largest source of noise in the room... it's the submersible filter I put in a 20g. I'll be replacing this soon enough and the room will once again be a sanctuary and not the machine shop it currently sounds like.

Hey, I have been dabbling with sponge filters in my fry tanks and now that I have four set up (and 6 more being started the next few days) I need to start planning for the long haul.

I have been running a sponge filter in each of my Fry tanks (2 x 10 gallon tanks). It was suggested to me by African_Fever (Kyle) that he uses both an AC mini and a sponge filter in his fry tank. I happy that i did the same. Also on the intake for the AC mini i use a Bio Filter sponge (can be found at Pj's 2 for $7) to make sure no fry get sucked up.

the intake bio filter and the sponge filter are great as it keeps the fry eating as foot gets trapped that they have to pick out.

The only issues that i have found with my fry tanks is the bio foam intake on the AC Mini. You have to take off the bio foam every once in a while to make sure it gets cleaned. Just to make sure you have the water movement through your filter and that it doesn't get too jammed up.

I have found the pump to be the loudest machine in my fish room. the bubble are a dull roar compared to the pump!

what type of fish do you plan on breeding??

Good luck!

nev

The only issues that i have found with my fry tanks is the bio foam intake on the AC Mini.  You have to take off the bio foam every once in a while to make sure it gets cleaned.  Just to make sure you have the water movement through your filter and that it doesn't get too jammed up.

That's why I never liked those sponges, they are too fine. You can take a regular AC replacement sponge and using a knife cut an inch or so deep slit in the side. Stick that on the filter intake and you can still protect the fry without having to clean the sponge constatly.