Big call for advice!

wandj

Hi all.

I have my 300 gal running and I need to know what all I can put in it. Kind of like a blank slate? The tank is 96"L x 24"D x 30"H. The tank builders built it funny whereas they put a top on the tank and there are only 2 x 11 square inch holes in the top. So, this means I can't put big decor in it and what fish go in, will probably never come out. So there goes my hopes of making it a big breeding tank. (And I don't want to cut the holes bigger). I had planned on putting my Blue JD's in it, but I'm sure you all heard how poor quality they are. I have 5 regular JD's and can still put them in it. I thought I could add some Rainbows to act as dithers and they are too fast to be bothered by aggressive Cichlids. Throw in some Ottos.

Water parameters.

pH 8.5-8.7. (Great African tank?)

GH 220 pm (12 grains)

KH 310 ppm (considered very high)

Temp: Not set yet. (It's 25C right now, but that depends on the fish I get)

4 x large canister filters.

2 air stones.

The background of this tank is blue, same color as the blue at the top where the fish silhouette is. SO, this means I don't want fish that will blend into the background. (Another reason to not have Blue JD's anymore). I will prefer fish with lots of red and or yellow. Or mixes of color. I have that small gravel substrate from Sil Industries, the silica stuff that is a tan color. Have lots of pcs of small driftwood. Some fake driftwood.

As for other fish, I want them big and very colorful. Not big like an Aro, but between 5-12 inches. Very small amount of very big ones...like only one or two. Don't want warfare, so I don't want something nasty. I have already been looking into these fish via books:

Lake Tang: Cyathopharynx furcifer (9")

Lake Vic: Astatotilapia aeneocolor (5")

A" " " " sp Redtail (5")

A " " " " latifasciata

Astatoreochromis allauadi

Central Am: Cichlasoma Salvini (6")

C" " " " synspilium (Firehead Cichlid 12")

I also want to be able to feed them all the same diet, no veggie/algae eaters. So they must all have a meaty/omnivorous diet. I don't want my meat-eaters to be eating the algae wafers meant for other fish.

Having had mostly plecos, I am getting tired of my fish hiding all the time, so I would give preference to fish that are not hiders. Fish that are mid swimmers or are not so shy. I want to SEE the fish in this tank.

And, I might take/buy some fish off some of you if they appeal to me.

No Oscars, my beau hates them.

I am tempted by a Jag. Juvie? I heard they are mean though....

And hey, it's my Birthday today so give me an extra special big chunk of advice!

^_^

Thanks everyone!

Edited by wandj

An aro would be cool, but believe it or not, my tank is still not big enough. They get to be about 3 feet long? It still won't be able to turn around. And I have rich taste, if I were to get an Aro, I would want those expensive red ones.

And what is that thing in the second pic? A snakehead?

An aro would be cool, but believe it or not, my tank is still not big enough. They get to be about 3 feet long? It still won't be able to turn around. And I have rich taste, if I were to get an Aro, I would want those expensive red ones.

And what is that thing in the second pic? A snakehead?

That is a red aro....and they normally max out at about 30" (so a reasonably wide 300 is fine...nothing like those 50" silvers.)....and not so bad at $1200-$2400 for a baby.

That second thing is an ornate bichir, Polypterus ornatipinnis....a member of the most interesting family of fish on the planet....and quite the looker, too.

Ok, help me out with my spatial reasoning. A red Aro may reach 30". Its turn-around space in a tank like mine is only 24", probably less due to equipment, decor etc. Are you sure and Aro would be comfortable in this turn-around? Are you sure my tank is big enough? I don't want it to be crowded and unhappy. (I am tempted) Does anyone know if Aros change direction sometimes so they are not always swimming in the same circle all the time?

Your tank is plenty big enough for an aro, they simply tuck their tail in to turn around. Perhaps not the best situation for a 30" fish, but plenty doable.

Certainly not my choice for a tank your size, but to each their own.

As far as:

I also want to be able to feed them all the same diet, no veggie/algae eaters. So they must all have a meaty/omnivorous diet. I don't want my meat-eaters to be eating the algae wafers meant for other fish.

Obviously you know what my solution to that is, feeding them all the same food no matter what they might be classified as, will not be a problem. As far as algae wafers, any fish, including most wild fish, are opportunistic feeders, so there's always the chance that your other fish will take a liking to the wafers. To avoid that problem, feed the bottom feeders at night an hour or two after the tank lights go out.

Your fish options are endless, personally I would choose something that will allow several large species in the 12-16 inch range. SA, CA, or African.

BTW - Happy Birthday! :beer:

a member of the most interesting family of fish on the planet....

Hi Christian,

Any chance you could expand on this?

Thanks,

Andrew

Would I?!?

Well, lets start with the fact that the Polypteridae (2 Genera, roughly 16 accpted total species/subspecies) are a very unique family of fishes with no living close relatives....they are a primitive fish, possessing hinged ganoid scales, independantly functional pectoral fins [with a powerful musculoskeletal structure (not unlike that of Coelacanths) that permits them fairly impressive terrestrial locomotion]...a modified swim bladder that permits them to breathe atmospheric air..........I can go on and on for hours, but it will have to wait...tonight I am sleepy and my bed is calling.

Now that it is clear that the tank is only 2 feet "wide", can I still try an Aro?. Are there small types? Any Aro experts out there? No Silvers, but are there a small species that would do ok? What are they?

I am afraid not....a 32"-36" wide tank, maybe, but even the Asian arowana, the shortest species, would need at least that...24" is just too narrow, I am afraid. But still, plenty of cool fish that will fit....perhaps you should devote the tank to a large, single lungfish.

Hi Christian. I was at BA, and they had a few different types of those Polypterus's, but they told me they are noturnal predators and would eat my fish. So, I passed.

However, I visited a very dear friend of mine later that day, and since he is trying to reduce his fish, he GAVE me a beautiful Firehead Cichlid! This thing is gorgeous! He said the coloring is very impressive (I agree) and it is easily a foot long. He/she was a little upset with me after I put it in its new home as he was a bit pale, but whithin an hour, the colors were starting to shine. He looked HAPPY! He is not shy! It constantly swam around and explored the tank and picked up gravel, etc. It was even hungry as I put in some food and it ate. (My friend said he was not feeding much) I also purchased his gorgeous Scarlet pleco. My God this thing is gorgeous! I have been eyeing it for a year. About a foot long. I talked with him about when to introduce my regular JD's, they are only about 5"?, and we agreed that it's not a good idea to give any of the Cichlids a chance to establish a territory. So I added the JD's the same time as the big Firehead. It was clear right away the Firehead is boss, but he was not chasing the JD's around. I don't want any scrapping.

Now, besides an Aro someday, dare I add another Cichlid? I would be tempted by another Firehead too (of the same sex).

I would be tempted by a "Black-banded" Chilclasoma maculicauda, but I might be maxed out already on Cichlids. Once these guys put stakes in the ground, I don't want to rock the boat adding anything else.

Opinions?

I showed my beau, and he liked the Firehead, but the Scarlet already found a home to hide in. And I could see how unimpressed he was. (Is that thing going to hide in there all the time?).

So no more plecos I guess.

I have finished my roll of film and will post pics ASAP.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE! As you can see, I have taken bits and pc's of what you said....I still might get a Silver Salmon Aro (I have talked to many ppl and a friend who keeps many, and says he has never seen them get more than 2 feet). AND, Neil I did make the tank a CA set up.

So, any more advice? Tell me senseis!

PS, I plan on doing lots of water changes cuz I am worried the filters are not mature enough for the fish load.

Total inches fish in there right now: about 36".

Oh ya, I added about 15 little Otto's to keep the algae in check and "yucky" stuff off my decor.

^_^^_^

Edited by wandj