Baby cichlid and java fern forest

Golfnut

This is my java fern forest, amazing what gold fish poop can do.

JavaFern.jpg

My baby cichlids, they're growing now, but I still don't have a postive ID.

One member said

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=919

But I'm thinking (but CAN'T be none are yellow)

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1

Ok I think it is this one...

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=887

BabyBlueCichlid.jpg

Edited by Golfnut

How big is this cichlid?

from raising F2 fry saulosi... it's not until about 2 inches before they start to look blue. You are right though that its not a saulosi because mine are about 2 inches they still have a yellow tinge in the edge of their tale fin. I can guarantee that they are not saulosi at 100%. Also to add to my conclusion of not being a saulosi as it has about 7 stripes. A normal saulosi should about 5. if it was a saulosi it would have to say its a hybrid.

it could be a socolofi... my dominant male is below(RIP) when i had a group the juvies didn't have barring like the one in your fish. again it would have to depend on the size of the fish in question.

There is a pic of my socolofi below...

it very well could be a Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Ornatus" but to confirm that ID we would have to wait until its fully grown.

where did you get this fish from?

How big is it?

some questions that may help with your ID.

nev

PS. great looking java fern!

Edited by nevchewy

Hi Nev,

Thanks for the reply.

The baby in the picture is about 3/4" I would say, so still small.

I got the parents from FishManTy, but he told me they were electric blues... but they are not.

Andrew

Pretty sure it is Pseudotropheus socolofi I have 8 adults and I noticed a 3/4 inch juvy in the tank that managed not to get eaten. He looks like yours, the banding tends to fade after time. The electric blue I have seen turn blue at a later age (Sciaenochromis fryeri ) or the Copadichromis azureus, the problem is electric blue is applied to a few different fish.

Hi John,

Absolutely nothing special. Just gold fish and 1 tube of light. Its only on for about 8 hours too. I add a little salt once in a while. NO fertilizer.

I don't know, it grows like weeds. My plant tanks cannot grow the java fern either, yes they literally melt away.

Andrew