Joe's Juice

Toirtis

but use with care as it will also kill any other anemone good or bad in the tank. Learned the hard way as I lost my pacific rose tip I had for over a year when I used it. Dont listen to the instructions when it tells you to turn off the power heads to avoid spreading it to your good anemone's. As I follow them and it still killed it.

Really sorry to hear that kellehar.

I can say about JJ's is that it's kalk powder based (CaOH). Kalk powder is highly caustic and does "burn" on contact and ingestion. Since it's in a suspended solution, the pH is also very high (pH 9.2). Albeit when the product is applied, the amount of solution is minimal so the "drift" will have a small radial impact. The problem may araise when the pumps are put back on. Kalk powder is kicked into the water column where it settled gets "caught" by coral, anems, zoas, etc. Depending on how much they catch or settles on them...they aren't going to be happy.

I did a aptaisia killing spree last week on my aquarium, granted I was too liberal adding the kalk mix on some areas. When the pumps came on 1/2 hour later there was a bit of a snowstorm. Though nothing appeared to have settled on anything, I'm sure that the powder had contact and some degree of ingestion. I lost 1/4 of my prized zoa colony (forest green skirt, lime green centre, red mouth) and the branching hammers just don't look right.

One just has to be careful adding/using any product. Knowing exactly what's in a product will help determine how careful one should be and if any ill results occur, it's easier to determine what went wrong.

JM2C

but use with care as it will also kill any other anemone good or bad in the tank.

Thats bizarre, since I have used it on tanks with plenty of desireable anenomes with no ill effects to any of them....it seems to only kill those directly targeted (the aptaisias).

I can say about JJ's is that it's kalk powder based (CaOH).

What makes you suggest this? The reason that I am asking is that I did some experiments with it, and found zero exothermic reaction, which would suggest that it is not kalk-based. The problem is that since a patent on the recipe is pending, the company will not divulge any information on the ingredients.

NOTE: I'm not in any way, shape or form intending to "bash" Joe's Juice. Just giving my findings on the product compared to the kalk method.

I just got a bottle and did a few tests:

Appearance in bottle:

JJ: Clear solution (supernatant) overlaying the white compound. Mixing the white compound had a slight muddy texture and when mixed thoroughly it was all white.

Kalk: when settled ("using "millipore" water) looks the same as JJ and mixing had the same experience.

Both products settled at the same rate in test tubes.

Taste: not a recommended thing to do. JJ has a salty taste and no grit. Kalk was just gritty with a short initial bitterness.

Kalk/JJ

pH: 13.45/13.20

Instrument: PinPoint pH monitor and LaMotte pH Plus Direct meter both with LaMotte Lab Grade pH probe recalibrated prior to test.

Made NSW (TropicMarin and "millipore" water) where Ca measured at 380mg/L using a Salifert, AP and SeaChem Ca test kits. Went above the endpoint by a few drops (pink to blue). I added one drop of JJ and all solutions went back to pink same with kalk solution.

I've attached a pic of how the two compare after application. As you can see, they are almost identical in their appearance and reaction to SW. The difference is that JJ seems to form a colloidal "skin" after time in SW which IMHO, is their secret ingredient and may account for it's saltiness.

I haven't been able to test the refractive index of the supernatant as I lent my refractometer to a friend.

post-18-1138582388_thumb.jpg

Edited by wtac