cheap halogen bulbs....

dunl

Saw some cheap 100W halogen bulbs at Wal-Mart today, and I was wondering if they could be used somehow as lighting for a sump. At $5.98 and looking like they might fit an ordinary socket, would there be a DIY was to do this?

Thanks,

Dunl

Well if they are $6 and fit a regular light socket then I would think you just put them in a regular light socket. Buy a cheap desk light and cut the arm off it. Walmart isn't going to sell a lot fo specialty lighting.

I think nobody has replied becuase of the fuge part, it would light up real good but IIRC halogens have the same kind of colour as any other incandescent, around 3000k. I have no idea what the spectral output would be like so I couldn't tell you if it would grow macro.

A 6500k compact flourecent would probably be a better choice and they are pretty easy to come by.

part 1: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...143#post5004143

part 2: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=599175

And I can't seem to find it (damn rc search too busy as usual) but he just recently posted his DIY fixture for one.

Also noteworthy, there are full spectrum MR16 (the little 12v 35-50w halogens - fit in various track lights & desk lamps), available at many lighting retailers - I keep thinking it'd be neat to put one over a nano planted tank (nice clean fixture).

Andy