Pricing of 180 Gallon

Mighty Prawn

Okay so I have priced out my tank, and I think I have everything...

180 Gallon tank bought from Gold's

$450+ GST = $481.50

Mag Drive 1800 from Gold's (No GST)

$200

Large Bag of Bio Balls x 2

$85.57

250W Ebo Jager Heater from Gold's (No GST) x 4

$159.96

48" Light Canopy x 3

$64.20

PVC Piping

Unsure of Cost

Large Pieces of Foam

Unsure of Cost

Tank Stand from aquariumstands.com

Probably looking at $700ish unless I build it myself

$991.23 or $1691.23 with stand.

Am I forgeting anything? I'm assuming the PVC pipe and foam will be miniscule costs, and I already have a 55 gallon tank I'll be using as the sump.

Ahhhh shoot, I forgot about rocks and gravel.... Dang, I guess tag another $200 onto there.

Anything else? Aside from fish, of course.

-Hideo

Hideo, with some elbow grease, you can make a stand for a 180 gallon easily. Sift through some of the DIY plans that people have on the internet. Unless you want a piece that is strictly furniture type and professionally made, DIY is the best way to go. I estimate that a DIY stand for a 180 gallon would cost you roughly 300 bucks.

Maybe less, because I have horrible estimation skills.

250W Ebo Jager Heater from Gold's (No GST) x 4

$159.96

Ahhhh shoot, I forgot about rocks and gravel.... Dang, I guess tag another $200 onto there.

Oy, you can knock those prices down a bit.

You'll only need 2 heaters for example, 4 goes well past the "overkill" point and into "complete uselessness". My 240 gallon runs with 2 heaters and I've never had an issue, in fact the pump puts out so much heat that they barely turn on at all.

Rocks and gravel you can get for about $15-20. Pick your own rocks, and get gravel or sand from a landscaping yard. It's just as nice as what you get from the LFS, don't kid yourself.

If you want to save on the bioballs there are various alternative medias you can use for a sump.

Edited by Froggie

For the tank I just wasn't sure, since Gold's gets em from Bow Valley.

I think I may end up building it myself, since I won't be building the tank myself, I could use a fun project with my wife and my dad. Or maybe I'll turn it into a project my wife and my dad can do while I work off the money getting a second job to pay for all this ;-)

Thanks for all the tips, guys.

I actually will only put 2 heaters in, but, I will still get the others. Use one for a 15 gallon cube I'm buying, and the other to heat up a garbage bin full of water so when I do water changes it's the same temperature ;-)

-Hideo

I have 2 250watt heaters on my 180 and bought all my rocks from a landscaping place (Limestone) for 30 bux...sand is silica sandblasting sand from princess auto...that was the cheap part....don't overdo it...a 250 watt heater for the cube will nuke the thing!!

Have fun, I love my 180 and want a bigger one now, but hey who doesn't!

Jodaye