Where to find rock?

Mighty Prawn

Is there any place in Alberta to collect your own slate?

I don't mind driving, even to BC is probably fine.

Any other nice rock suitable for an aquarium is fine, too.

Also, is it even legal to collect rock? I assume not in parks, but otherwise?

If I can find a place that's decent, I'm gonna load up my dogs and my wife in a van, lay down something in the back, and bring back and truck, er, vanload of whatever I can get.

Considering how freakin' expensive it is to buy rock, if someone can give me a good lead where it's legal to acquire, I'd be happy to share the spoils with everyone who needs some.

I was thinking maybe Drumheller... But it's probably not legal to collect there.

And I'll also take requests if I can find a place.

Thanks in advance as usual.

-Hideo

Pretty sure collecting in the national/provincial parks is illegal.

If you had a friend with a plot of land, containing a quarry/riverbank - you may be in luck.

Ornamental landscapes by deerfoot mall (across from walmart bit up the road towards the control tower) sells rock, they know us aquarium folks, and they give us pretty good deals on the rock (I bought 80lbs, and got charged for 50).

Andy

Actually, I may have a friend with just that, unfortunately he lives in the laurentian mountains on the other side of the country :-/

If it's not a park, should be fine I think. I wonder who I'd even call about that kind of stuff.... Parks and recreation I suppose.

Hey Andy, what about your yard? Can I come dig up your yard and look for rock in there?

-Hideo

Rock for what kind of fish? If it is cichlids, limestone is a pretty popular choice, as the ph it leeches helps to buffer your levels. Can be commonly found at most landscaping places for pretty cheap prices.

Call the Burnco Retail center (Glenmore and Deerfoot - 403-252-1131) and talk to them, there... they have just about any kind of rock you can name and plenty of it. Probably a tiny bit scarce this time of year, although... with the weather this winter it would not surprise me that they are in full swing.

Another contact is 403-246-5900, call and talk to James (Aura Landscapers). He is an AWESOME landscape artist and is very well known for his rockwork. He can tell you who to talk to for the best stone in Western Canada... maybe even a few key spots to collect some yourself. James may be out of the country for the winter so if you leave a message for him and he doesn't reply right off... that's why.

• 3 weeks later...